Sunday 26 April 2015

Printing photos ...



26 April

London Marathon day again; we’ve just sat and watched it as usual and it struck us just how good runners those pace setters are. We also wondered if they actually finish it, or perhaps thinking that they might actually want to join in the race as competitors. This race and boat race (which I messed this year), are the only sports events I’m really interested in these days. The sport I used to enjoy was 10-pin bowling and I got pretty good at it too. Sadly I doubt I could even lift any of the balls I used to use then. Ah well …

Yesterday I posted a write-up of a dream I once had; I also but it on my Facebook page too. I’ve received some decent comments and encouragement over it since then, all of it saying that it’s my story, my land so I should keep it and run with it. Well, right now I can’t do so and I don’t know when I might be able to do so, but I will at some time in the future once I have got the other projects finished off properly.  

The new issue of AP has a column about long our images will last. The advice is to print them. OK, fine; from our Kingsbury last week I had just nine keepers from the 100 that were on the card. Nine is a reasonable number to have printed. But so far this year I have 128 others in my Not Sorted folder that I would need to print too. And that doesn’t count all those that I have already sorted into their various genres.

Looking back I can’t imagine how many others there, probably thousands of them. Yes, I could print them all slowly but even if I tried to put four on each A4 sheet, the cost would still be high. I also have around five thousand pub-related images too, pub signs, real ale clips and so on. And that’s not all is it?

What of storage? Living in a small one bedroom flat means that we don’t have a lot of storage space. Then add in the images that Jan has too, as well as her video files. The idea of printing them all sounds good ‘on paper’ but in reality it is probably far too late and impractical for a lot photographers.  

And so for today’s photo … 


A grey heron.

The Sage has spoken …

Q. What have a Catholic Priest and a pint of Guinness got in common?
A. A black coat, white collar and you've got to watch your arse if you get a dodgy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment