Saturday 4 April 2015

Friends old and new



4 April

When I was at school, I had a mate who lived four doors down from me. We always knocked around together and every Sunday morning we would go on a long walk along the many lanes of Arley. Once he left school a year before me we didn’t spend so much time together and the Sunday walks stopped at that point too. I joined the army in 1967 and left in 1979 and I met up with him in a local pub, and he could hardly look at me, let alone speak to me. He did eventually say ‘Hello,’ but is seemed forced. Anyway, it’s his birthday today.

Why am I sharing this? Well, I still get many of my old school friends turn up and speak to me, and guesses what; I can’t remember them. The only two I did always remember were Tom, (as above) and Bob. Tom because he still has his long bushy sideburns and Bob because of round chubby face, even if he wasn’t chubby bodily. I have met up with one of the girls in school and knew her instantly simply because of her long strait ginger hair is still as striking as it was when we were kids. Her hubby Dave, on the other hand I didn’t remember and still don’t remember him, even if we were in the same class through primary and middle school.

The Open University had a closed social forum on their intranet, called FirstClass, and apt name for a uni platform is ever there was one. Like all computer based social media, it had its fair share of real nasties and trolls and run ins between students and various groupings was a regular happening. However, FirstClass had a really brilliant and helpful side to it as well. I met quite a few of the much more friendly students and got on well with all of them. Anyway … I’m hoping to meet up with one of them on Wednesday but Prash is not sure if he can make. I was a bit late in letting him know I was going down there. It could be a good day out if he does, what with him being a C**** user and me being a Nikon users J

I’ve been watching the Truth about … series on telly and the latest one was about fat. According to that one wheat products have a lager fat content than we would normally think about. This came out because they place a load different foods on table and asked a group of people to sort them in order of their fat content. Then the group were asked to try a no fat diet for a week to see how they got on. None of them did very well at overall. Yes, they lost some weight but not a lot really but the side effects of no fat included being bloated, excess wind, tiredness and a few others. Anyway …

I eat two sorts of breakfast cereal, bran flakes and Weetabix, well, the Asda version of them right now. So today when I had some Weetabix I looked at the fat content of two biscuits; it is 0.8g of fat. That hardly seems high to me at all guys. Later today I’m having a ham salad and I’m really looking forward to it. For tomorrows lunch there is a nice fresh chicken in the fridge awaiting being stuffed and roasted. A couple of roast tatties and a pile of veg will see well for the rest of the day.

And so for today’s photo … 

Brum’s new library, which is fast becoming a bit of a white elephant. The opening hours are being cut back hard with latest slice being its closure on Sunday and only open for 6 hours on Saturday. Not what the original was at all.

Today’s funny …

 Have you noticed that all bottled water has the “best before” date printed on it? The water has circled the earth for four billion years … 
but now it’s ruined?
3 April

No comments:

Post a Comment