Thursday 30 April 2015

Books and films



30 April

The work on our blocks has begun, but there are two different works to be done. The asbestos tiling has started on the third block which is in the next street over. The second lot is to replace the glass panels in the hallways. There are four flats to each hallway with 40 odd such hallways. The council is spending a lot money on these three blocks; I wonder where it has all come from. We won’t get a straight answer on that one!

Tuesday evening when we did a bit of shopping we bought a copy of Exodus, the new version of the OT story of the flight of the Hebrew slaves from Egypt. This version has stripped away all real spiritual elements and the glamour of the old Charlton Heston version, The Ten Commandments. I always found that one to be far too hairy-fairy really, but this new one isn’t so good either. We sat and watched it but we won’t be rushing to watch it again methinks.

Also while we were shopping, Jan saw the book The Girl on the Train going for £7 in hardback. When we got home she looked it up for her kindle and found that it was priced at £5.99. Considering what I wrote yesterday about there being markets for both forms of books, I’m surprised that so many e-books are so expensive in comparison to hard/paper backs. I don’t think the writer gets anymore in royalties from e-books extra prices, so the publishers and books sellers must get it all.         

Atom Bomb Angel finally bit the dust last night. I’ve enjoyed reading it but it’s not as good as a lot of Peter James’s other work. I don’t want to spoil it for you in case you do want to read it, but the butler didn’t do it! Now then, for the next one I am trying Game of Thrones again. Before settling last night I got the prologue read; tonight I shall get on with the rest of it, hoping to get further than I did at the first attempt.

My copy of Office 2013 is up for renewal of its subscription at midnight tonight. I’m not too sure I want to bother with it. I installed my own copy of 2003 just after I bought this machine but it kept clashing with the pre-installed 2013. In the end I gave in and paid the subscription. Today though I am going to have a play and see about ditching ‘13 and returning to ’03. To start off with it I shall open my documents and save them to a different SD card for now and then try the deleting. That way I should be able to sort it out; we’ll see … … …

Jan is thinking of going back to Kingsbury tomorrow, but I don’t fancy it really, I’m still tired after Tuesday. That means that I won’t have any new photos to post and I will have to post more of Tuesday’s efforts, so here’s one of them … 

A barnacle goose.

And today’s funny …

“Now hiring,” read the classified ad. “Cemetery superintendent. The ideal candidate must be able to supervise in a fast-paced environment.”

No comments:

Post a Comment