Tuesday 14 April 2015

Man up and grow a pair



14 April

Now that was a strange thing to happen. Jan and I went out shopping yesterday with me doing the driving. Things went off fine until we were nearly home. Then I pulled over cos my eyes were going funny. How to describe it; well, it felt like I was wearing blinds and the side vision was just about shot. As soon as the car stopped my head began spinning too. At that point Jan took over driving home, and finally, after around three hours it had all passed off. As I said, all very strange, and the reason why there was no blog yesterday.

This morning I had an appointment for a fasting blood test up at the Hussey for 8am, so last night I set the alarm for 7.15. It went off as planned but when I dragged my sorry butt out of bed the clock was showing 8.15. Not good, I thought. As it was I needed to pee so off I went, but according to the clock in there it was 7.15; so what was going on? Still don’t know but I went off and the test done.

This test is part of the diabetic clinic game I go through every six months and is due anytime now. I shall give it a few days and then make an appointment for the clinic itself, they need time to get the results back. However, I’m not sure what they are going show. Just lately I’ve been very thirsty for most of the day. Of course I drink more then, and that leads to more visits to the Percy Pointing Room. I mentioned that my weight is reducing the other day, well on the scales yesterday morning I had lost 6lbs, I’m not going to moan about that at all! It should please the nurse at the clinic too.

Not long ago we had a ramp fitted outside the front door of the block. As I came home this morning I saw some work men further up the road and they were digging up some of those new ramps. Then I heard drilling and hammering outside our place, and being a nosey sod I went to see what was going on. Speaking to the guys working there I found out that a new of the new ramps had been condemned as dangerous and were having to be re-done by the contractors. Our ramp is fine and the hammering and drilling was part of fitting a bright yellow hand rail. I’m surprised that the noise hasn’t woken Jan; trust me, I spoke too soon, she has just got up now.

Teenage suicide has been in the news on a number of occasions over the last few years after younger kids have killed themselves. But according to Panorama last night, it’s middle age men who are most like to take that route out. Research into it has indicated that the reason for that is the gender stereotype of the strong, roughy-tuffy man is at the heart of it. Men are not supposed to get depressed, they are supposed to ‘man-up’ or ‘grow a pair,’ which doesn’t help at all. Mental illness plays a large role too. Various organisations are not starting up to help to provide men with the opportunity to talk about their worries and their lives in general. If it helps, then why not.

Today’s photo … 

A starling on our bird table.

Today’s funny …

A couple are sitting in their living room, sipping wine. Out of 
the blue, the wife says, I love you.” “Is that you or the wine talking?” asks the husband. “It’s me,” says the wife. “Talking 
to the wine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment