Monday 5 January 2015

Flu, fog and birding



4 January

Yesterday Kile and me went off to Titchwell for a day’s birding. He says he’s been there before but we can’t remember taking him, but never mind; we had a good day. The bird list for the day is … 

chaffinch; moorhen; pheasant; long tailed tit; Great tit; feral pigeon; magpie; black headed gull; rook;  herring gull; goldfinch; jackdaw; lapwing; coot; tufted duck; mute swan; Brent geese; shellduck; greater black backed gull; wigeon; grey partridge; teal; redshank; bartailed godwit; curlew; little egret; turnstone; oystercatcher; mallard; jay… which brings our 2015 list to 36 so far. That’s not much really considering the numbers that birds are posting on the Yahoo board I’m part of. 

We left here in pretty think fog, perhaps the sensible thing would have been to stay at home; but Kile had been promised a day out birding and I’d been looking forward to it as well. So off we went. The fog remained with us for a good part of the way but with the sun slowly climbing I knew it would be clearing the fog at some time. By the time we got t’ther side of Peterborough it had cleared and I was hungry and thirsty, so we stopped at a Little Chef where we normally stop at. The fog stayed away for the rest of day – until that is we were heading home. Even so, it didn’t get anywhere near as bad it was in the morning.

Jan is still full of flu and isn’t feeling at all well really. Flu on top of everything else she suffers with can be hard. But Jan just gets on with things as well as she can. Kile is due back to school tomorrow so I’m taking him home later this afternoon, via Asda so I can get him some gloves. Jan is staying at home with is really the sensible thing for her to do.   

Out of the 77 photos I took yesterday, just 11 are worthwhile keeping; and here’s one of them … 

A herring gull.

And todays funny …

A group of prosperous businessmen were dining at the Sam’s Hotel in Las Vegas. “Seems to me you are getting a little slimmer,” remarked one. “I should be!” replied the other. “I went on one of those high protein diets. Nothing but expensive steaks and chops

No comments:

Post a Comment