Saturday 5 July 2014

Speeding, hedgehogs and sometging fishy



5 July

I wonder what silly, strange or inappropriate signs and notices you have seen. Things like this … 

I make no comment on the honesty of the firm concerned but such a sign would not fill me with confidence. What has sparked this thought is my dearest darling Jan and her love of canned salmon. I bought her two cans on Thursday evening and she opened the first one last night. Here are two shots of the remaining can … 




Who’da thunk it eh; a can of salmon containing fish!

Keeping the focus on Jan for now … Last night she got very warm in bed so she got up to get the fan we have in the living room. She glanced out of the window and saw two hedgehogs out on the lawn. Jan was really pleased to see them so she went out and put some meals for them. It didn’t take them long to polish them off. There might not seem anything special in what Jan saw, but hang on, hedgehog numbers have plummeted over last few years. We bought a couple of habitats for them and have hidden them out back. Later Jan got two hedgehogs from the local wildlife rescue place and released. That was last year some time and early this morning was the first sign we’ve seen of them since. That’s good news folks.

Today’s Telegraphs On This Day feature only goes back to 1810 and the birth of a man who went on to become the world’s greatest showman, Phineas Barnum. But, O wonder if you know what the first speed limit on British roads was set at. Today we see cars rushing past us on the motorways doing well above the legal 70mph. However, in 1865 The Locomotives and Highways Act introduced a speed limit of just 4mph. or just 2mph in towns and cities. Time and speed race on through history don’t they.  

I finally got me photos sorted from Wednesday; out of 102 two shots I got 12 worth using, and most of those were part of my pub sign/real ale clip things I do. Today’s photo then is … 

The one part of Glastonbury we liked; until we got the end of it and find three steps leading to the high street – clever eh?

And today’s funny …

 A man is driving down the road, when he passes a farmer standing in the middle of a huge field. He pulls the car over and watches the farmer doing absolutely nothing. The man walks over to the farmer and asks him, “excuse me sir, but what are you doing?” The farmer replies, “I’m trying to win a Nobel Prize.” “How?” Asks the man puzzled. “Well I heard the give the prize to people who are outstanding in their field.”

No comments:

Post a Comment