Saturday 26 July 2014

Pubs and a butty, camera prices and brand loyalty



26 July

While shopping for shorts I noticed they have a Nikon 5100 DSLR and 18-55mm lens on offer, complete with a camera bag and an 8gig SD card. I’ve had a fancy for one of these but the price they wanted was far too high at £650. This morning my copy of AP arrived and Grays of Westminster have the same camera at just £389; that means I’d have paid almost £300 for a bag and card! Anyway, it’s not just the price asked for the camera is it? Oh no; I would need to buy a couple of lenses to get the most of the camera. And what would I do with my A77 and lens collection? Nope, I shall remain a loyal Sony user.

While I was sat having my #3 haircut, I was talking to the hairdresser about various pubs and she mentioned the George Eliot, in the town centre. Jan and I used to go in there fairly often at one time but we stopped doing so ages ago. So When Jan finished at the hospital (everything OK there by the way), I suggested we meet up there. And I’d just settled with me first pint of Bombardier when Jan walked in. We sat there and had two drinks and it struck me that although the pub has an extensive menu, you can’t order and simple cheese sandwich with nothing else on the plate as well. I think they may be missing a trick there you know, not just the George, but all pubs. The closest I’ve got to it in the last few years was this ham sandwich in the Greyfriars in Coventry … 

It was nice but far too big.

Getting my new reading specs has been a relief; now I can sit comfortably and read as much as I want or need to. While I was there at Specsavers I also bought a small bottle of lens cleaner and a cleaning cloth. I’ve just used it to clean my Tamron 18-270mm lens too, and the UV filter that normally sits on the lens. For some reason I can’t puzzle out I couldn’t get that filter clean at all, so I removed it. Then of course, the front element of the lens was at risk if getting dirty or damaged, not a good feeling at all folks! If you don’t have a UV or skylight filter on your camera, I advise you to get one.

Did you know that in 1745, the very first ladies cricket match was held? Why women want to play the damn silly game is beyond me anyway; but there yer go, nowt as queer as folk. Not on that, but today is also Mick Jagger’s 71st birthday. See, you learn all sorts of things you didn’t really to need to know by reading this eh?

Anyway … today’s photo … 

Is a shot I didn’t know I’d done on Wednesday. I was moving around while the scooter stopped and I do vaguely remember tripping the shutter button. This is the result. Apart from cropping and resizing it, I’ve done nothing with it.

So today’s funny …

 There were no two ways about it. Rosie was fat. Very fat. “Martha”, said Rosie to her best friend, “it was terrible what happened yesterday after the birthday party. You know how half of the birthday cake was left over? Well, I knew Bob would be fuming at me for eating it, with my diet and all, but I couldn’t help myself, it started with just a small nibble and before I knew it the whole cake was gone!.” “Oh my!” clucked Martha, “was Bob really upset?” “He never found it”, responded Rosie with a full double chin smile, “I just baked another cake and ate half of it!”

No comments:

Post a Comment