Thursday 24 July 2014

A good day out, a failure with photos and some sad news



24 July

Earlier in the week we had the news that one of our friends, Tom Wilson, had died in hospital from blood cancer.  We have known Tom since 1984, that’s 30 years now. Things will feel slightly strange without him around. However, Tom wasn’t a close friend, if you know what I mean, but he always seemed to be around in background. The only real problem I had with him was politics, he was ‘raving Tory loon’ as I call them. That changed after problems within the local Tory party during the latter part of his year as town mayor. His viewpoint and had moved totally away from them when earlier this year. His wife Sonja stood for election as a Labour councillor. Jan and I were happy to sign her proposal form and I also seconded her proposal too. Anyway Tom; it was good to know you for the time we did know you.    

We both had a day out yesterday and it was pretty much a mixed day for me. The day itself was a good one, it’s always good to be out in the sunshine. Photographically, it was a bad day for me. Somehow I managed to change the ISO setting on my A77; it got set to 12,800 from the normal Auto I have it set to. All the photos I got while on that setting are rubbish, simple because of extensive noise on them. That is annoying because I had some really nice shots, or would have done without the error.

We went off to Rutland Water, which isn’t all that far from us really, less than a two hour run at least. We had planned it based on how we remembered it was last time we went there. Oh dear … it’s all changed now. There are more hides and more lagoons. The paths have been resurfaced with a cream stone surface that made it easier for our scooters to run on. Next time we go we will be planning on a full day trip, not a part day as we did yesterday. We actually didn’t get to check around five or six of the hides. Perhaps they might need to look at their opening times during the summer months. Getting volunteers is a problem though. And don’t forget that Birdfair 2014 is on 15-17th of next month if you want to go.

At least I did get a few photos from yesterday, like this one … 

A butterfly.

And today’s funny …

I was applying for a prison guard job at Rikers Island. The warden that was interviewing me asked me if I think I could handle a tough crowd. I replied, “No problem, if they don’t behave, out they go!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment