Wednesday 2 July 2014

Peter James, dyslexia and a charity shop run



2 July

Last night I finished reading Peter James novel The Truth. The ending came as a complete surprise to me. Yes, of course, I knew that there wasn’t many pages left; what caught me was the way James tied up the ending. The last few pages were about how the victims were getting on with their lives. The thrust of novel is based around the occult and its way of creeping in to the lives of the innocent and the effect that it has on them. I already knew about this anyway because of my reading in the late 1960s, but this is first such novel I have read along those lines for many years now. Whatever, I enjoyed in and I would recommend it.

There was a letter a recent issue of Writing Magazine that really got me. A lass is trying to write but is being knocked back all the time, not by agents or magazines but by her friends and family. The reason for this is that she is dyslexic and they just won’t give the chance to show what she can do. The result is that she is now feeling very low over it. I wish that people would not do this, I really do. At age 11 I went through it at school when I tried the old 11+ exam, and failed. I was written off at that point. My one regret now is that I can’t go and wave my honours degree certificate under the noses of those teachers to show them how wrong they were! Anyway, I’ve sent off an email to the mag in reply to letter and I hope it helps the writer concerned.

We did a charity shop run yesterday afternoon and took two boxes of DVDs to Warwickshire Air Ambulance shop in the town centre. Next door is one of those pawn shops so I asked in there once how much they gave for DVDs; 10p was all they are offering. That’s not worth effort so the sir ambulance shop got them instead. From there we went round the corner to the Willy White where I had a really nice sirloin steak and Jan had a strawberry sundae thing. For there we headed back home but called into the Anker for a pint on the way.

Now, this may seem all rather boring and mundane, but in fact I had planned it that way so that we could get home in time for BBC News at 7.30pm. But guess what? The stupid footy overran and the News was delayed even further. And it’s not just for the footy is it? Oh no … Last week we recorded the first of a two parter about cops under pressure of lack of funds. The second part was on Monday evening. And yet it didn’t go ahead did it, why cos the sodding tennis!

The BEEB just don’t care about the majority of their viewers at all. I’ve lost count of the number of time others have complained about the sports coverage only to be told that they cater for the majority, not the minority of viewers. I would suggest they have got that wrong, very wrong! Look the numbers of people attending games when played and take that number from the population figure and see who the majority are. Anyway …

A photo for today … 

A rough sleeper in London.

And today’s funny …

A guy walked into a bar and ordered a drink, then leaned over to the guy next to him and asked, “Want to hear an accountant joke?” The guy next to him replied, “Well, before you tell that joke, you should know that I’m 6 feet tall, 190 pounds, and I’m an accountant. And the guy sitting next to me is 6’2″ tall, 210 pounds, and he’s also an accountant. Now, do you still want to tell that joke?” The first guy laughs, “No, I don’t want to have to explain it two times.”

No comments:

Post a Comment