Monday 16 June 2014

Writing and music, drugs again and stolen goods



18 June

Monday morning and all’s well!!! Well, mainly anyway. Someone on Facebook has just asked if we writers play music while we write. Actually, it’s not that simple for me. Normally I need absolute silence when I write, and yet I’ve found that I can write when I’m in a pub. Last time I did that I got around 2000 words done in a couple of hours, very happy about that too. Now, here’s the other bit …

When we lived in a three bedroomed house, the back bedroom was converted into a study area, and it was in that room that began writing. Silence wasn’t an issue in there. Now we have moved into a one bedroomed flat and I have a small area in the living room for my writing area. Every other weekend we have our grandson Kile for a couple of days. Kile and Jan play for hours on the Wii, which means that normally I don’t get much done at all. So one time I did try playing music through my headphones, and it worked, I did get some work done. Anyway, time to move on.

This morning’s News carries a story about but items and a good price. I’m sure we all look for a bargain or two, however, the trust of this piece is that if the asking price is too good to be true, then that is just what it is, far too good to true. This story though is not about a con in the normal sense of a con, it’s about buying stolen goods. We know that knowingly buying stolen goods is a criminal offence in its own right, but I’m still not sure how it works if you don’t know they are stolen – other than losing your money when the goods are. I suppose that the big give-away here is the actual price you pay. A £5000 camera body going for a grand should really be a clue for those that know about cameras.         

The thing is with stolen goods, by buying them you don’t know why they were stolen in the first place. In this day and age it’s more than likely because of a drug habit. Do we really want to be adding to that problem in any way, let alone in buying stolen goods! And here’s the point really; if there was no market for stolen goods, then there would be no incentive to go about robbing will there? Even so, before the drug problem had blown up in such a large way, there were people who had no qualms about buying stolen goods. That is why police and courts are harsher in sentencing to handlers that to the thieves; or at least they used to be. And long may it remain so … … …

Today’s photo is from last Friday again … 

A little egret and a grey heron in the same shot.

Funny time …

Two drunks were walking along the railroad tracks. One turns to the other and comments, “there sure are a lot of steps here!” The other replies, “Yeah, and the handrail sure is low!!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment