Saturday 21 June 2014

A nice visitor, new books and Jan was right



21 June

That was nice this morning. Kile and I were sat watching the birds out back when he noticed that one had hopped in through the open door. And there he was, a male blackbird. He came inside about six feet I suppose before turning round and hopping back out. It was a magical moment for both of us.

Sometime ago I managed to lose a small camera case that I used for storing my spare batteries and cards in. However, I have a feeling there was a lot more in there than I first though. I know about the three Sony batteries but there was Nikon battery too. Right now the only we can only find two 16gig SD cards, one in each Sony DSLR, and only one 4gig card. I know there should be 32gig card somewhere as well, a freebie from one the photo-mags.

The annoying thing though, is that Jan is always on to me about a zipping closed my camera bag. She has been concerned about me losing something, or even some light fingered prat helping themselves as they go past. She was right to be concerned hasn’t she! Never mind, we live and learn. I now need to look for a replacement pouch. I’m due a trip to Brum so I shall look there.

While I was out on Wednesday I popped into Waterstones and bought a few books. Top of my shopping list was Peter James’ Want You Dead his new Roy Grace novel. Second on the list was Simon Whalley’s book on photography for writers. It’s not listed as being a title on their usual suppliers so it’s had to be ordered from somewhere else. The result is that it could well be a few weeks to arrive.

While I was in there I saw a bogoff offer, so I went for it. Now I have two books by Kyril Bonfiglioli – no, I’ve never heard the name before either. The two I got were the first two books in the Charlie Mortecai series. The first one, Don’t Point That Thing At Me was first published in 1973. I was only interested in science fiction then so I’m not surprised I don’t know the name.

While I was at the sales deck I noticed a sign on the wall. By placing an order for the new Robert Galbraith novel, you get it at half price. I’m always on the lookout for those sort of deals and having enjoyed the first one, I jumped at the chance. Altogether I spent £45 on new books. I’ve just looked them up on Amazon and they would have been £7 cheaper; I prefer to have them in my hand straight after paying for them. OK, I had to wait for two of them, but I still came out with three titles.

Today’s photo then … 

I wonder if these things are road legal. I don’t see the point of doing this sort of thing, I really don’t!

Our friendly Sage has spoken again …

 A psychiatrist was conducting a group therapy session with four young
mothers and their small children. 'You all have obsessions,' he observed.
To the first mother, Mary, he said, 'You are obsessed with eating. You've
even named your daughter Candy.' He turned to the second Mom, Ann: 'Your
obsession is with money. Again, it manifests itself in your child's name,
Penny.' He turned to the third Mom, Kathy: 'Your obsession is alcohol. This
too shows itself in your child's name, Brandy.'

At this point, the fourth mother, Joyce, quietly got up, took her little boy by the hand and whispered... 'Come on Dick, this guy has no idea what he's talking about. Let’s pick Willy up from school and go home.'     

No comments:

Post a Comment