Wednesday 25 June 2014

Waiting for an edit, story ideas and tattered flags



25 June

I am happy to say that Shipshape is at long last ready to go to the editor. Now the problems is that the price has gone up and I have to wait a wee bit longer. Whatever, while I wait I can get on with something else that I started a couple of months ago. The idea of this one came from the time when Jan, our son and me were walking in a wooded area not far from here. Everything went suddenly very quiet and within seconds Tom screamed out in pain, as I suppose any 10 year old would. From that I have begun to weave a story.

Isn’t strange the way that three buses arrive at the same time. I’m sure we have all seen the explanations of that on telly at some time, but here’s the point; it’s not just buses that it happens with. I’ve said before that I have note book all over the place, one by the ‘puter, one by the armchair, one by the bed and in each car. OK, fine, but it has been over a month since I last made any notes. So blow me, yesterday I made three on the armchair book and last night I made another two in the bedside book. What I really need to do now is to have a filing system for all the notes. Now that will be some job!

One note from yesterday I made while we watched the telly show Police Under Pressure. Outside a police station in Sheffield a Union Flag was flying. It annoyed me, really bugged me. Why? Because the flag was dirty, tired and frayed along one edge. Come on guys, it’s the national flag; take some pride in it and get replaced! When I think of it though, the show was about the way the police are stretched because of a shortage of funds, so I don’t suppose buying a new flag is top of their priority list right now.

The M6 was closed in both directions for several hours yesterday afternoon when I mini-bus hit the central reservation. The result was that the A444 straight through the town centre was clogged up again. Our street is only about 300 yards from the A444 but we didn’t see or hear any of it; I’m not complaining about that though.

I keep saying that we don’t really want Kile to come here cos he won’t fit in the oven … hmmm … maybe I’ll rethink that …



And today’s funny is a real groaner I heard in the Anker the day …

Q.  What do you call a chicken in shell-suit?

A   An egg!

2 comments: