Saturday 19 October 2013

I lie in, Haggis for dinner and NONOWRIMO



19 October 2013

We slept in again today, although to be honest (have you noticed that nearly everyone says that now - to be honest, or to be fair?), it didn't surprise me at all.  We both needed it I think.  Anyway ...

Today is Dorktown Market Day so off we went for a ride around.  We didn't have plans to buy much at all other than some taties for tomorrow, that is until I looked in a butcher's window and saw they now sell Haggis!  Oh yes, I had one of those so I then needed to get me some neaps too - or swede for the sasanacks down here ;-)))  That one will be my dinner only, Jan won't even look at it, let alone eat it.  Ah well ... more for me then!!!

A few years I had a go at NANOWRIMO, or National Novel Writing Month.  The idea is write a 50,000 novel during November.  If you manage to do so you 'win'.  Other than a certificate to say up have completed it there is no actual prize.  The whole idea comes from the US (where else?), and was devised to encourage younger folk to do more reading and writing.  Anyway, I have been toying with the idea of having another go this year and I thought up a story line for it.  It was so strong a line that I made a plan for it while I was in bed.  The plan has 15 stages or scenes or whatever.  Looking forward to getting on with it now the decision is made.

In this month's Writing Magazine there's an article on Iain Banks which mentioned just how much of a slating his first novel The Wasp Factory was given.  So there was Jan and I on Monday half way up the M6 to Blackpool and I realised that I hadn't pack myself a book.  So when we stopped for a wee wee break we popped into Smudges place, and there on the shelf was The Wasp Factory.  So I bought it and finished it last night. 

It's an interesting story folks and I can see why some reviewers would have been put off it.  After all, someone setting fire to dogs wouldn't really appeal to many as past time would it?  But that's not the only dark item; how about a lying father, a strange son, a study in a house which the son isn't allowed to enter and a basement that is full of cordite?  The end twist though was just great!  Well worth having a go at folks.

Dorktown Telegraph day today and today's anniversary is about the yanks again.  British general Lord Charles Cornwallis surrendered to the George Washington in 1782.  And guess who is 82 today?  John Le Carre, that's who.

I have made a start on my Blackpool photos and decided on one of a large fish ... 

A shark of some sort.

And funny time ...

 A carpenter was giving evidence about an accident he had witnessed. The lawyer for the defendant was trying to discredit him and asked him how far away he was from the accident.
The carpenter replied, "Twenty-seven feet, six and one-half inches."
"What? How come you are so sure of that distance?" asked the lawyer.
"Well, I knew sooner or later some idiot would ask me. So I measured it!" replied the carpenter.     

No comments:

Post a Comment