Tuesday 29 October 2013

Clinic, The Hussy and the Goons



29 October 2013

This morning is pretty much just a time filler really.  I'm at diabetic clinic at 3.15 this afternoon and if truth be told, I really can't be bothered to get on do something more positive than sitting and watching the Crime and Investigation Channel shows I've recorded over the past week to two.  At least I'm writing this today and it's a hard fight to do it.  How I will get on next month I don't know.

Dorktown News is full of nothing very much again.  The Hussy is going to investigate every death in the hospital to try to get to the bottom of why so many people die while in their care.  Paramedics are asking people to take extra care when out and about now that the clocks have gone back and hour; now there's good advice - as if we didn't already know that!  Now what else ...

Oh yes, a nice piece of cow dung has been jailed for the second time; this time for an attempted shop theft and using a water pistol (yes, a water pistol) to threaten the shop owner.  He was caught through careful use of CCTV cameras in town.  There's yet another scam doing the rounds here.  In this case it's real gold necklaces being swapped for fake gold ones while the real ones are being worn by the owners.  There will now be a larger police presence on the streets of the town because of it. 

Heavy rain on Sunday night/Monday morning has caused flooding in all the usual places in Dorktown.  Main areas that are always effected is Queens Road, Hinckley Road and he River Anker levels being a lot higher than normal.  Bond Gate doesn't seem to flood so much these days but I seem to remember that work was carried out to improve drainage in that area some years ago. 

One article I always enjoy though is from local historian Peter Lee.  His effort this week is another of his A Child in the 1950s, Part 15.  He concentrates on entertainment this week with mention of the ABC Minors on Saturday morning and the Goon Show on the radio on Sunday.  I remember both, one because I used to go to the ABC myself and The Goons because I remember not really liking them - and my dad positively hating them!  I also remember Two Way Family Favourites and always felt that the BFPO *** always sounded so exotic to me.  Until I enjoyed the army and after training being posted to BFPO 29.  That was the one radio show we all listened to, just in case we had a mention.  I never did get a mention but when any of our guys did the dining room would burst into laughs and cat-calls and table banging with the poor guy sitting there going very red indeed.
So for today's photo, how about ... 

Rainbow's End.

And funny time ...

When I was younger I wanted a tattoo but my parents told me I had to get it somewhere that didn't matter. So I had it done in Hull.               

No comments:

Post a Comment