Thursday 19 September 2013

Godiva, brothers and writers and films



19 September 2013

Have you heard of the Lady Godiva story?  It supposedly happened in Coventry years ago when I lady rode through the town naked in protest against the high and unjust taxes being levied by the local Lord.  All the towns folk went indoors so as not to view the lady; all but one that is.  Peeping Tom sunk a peek of her.  The city took the story to heart.  In Broadgate, the centre of the city, there is a large bronze statue of the lady and her horse and not far away is a large clock where you see Godiva ride past and Peeping Tom peeping through some part open shutters. 

There have been a number of re-enactments over the years, one of the biggest was the giant Godiva ridding to London as part of Cultural Olympiad last year.  Personally I didn't see much point to it; but het ho, others did.  And yesterday there was another one here in Dorktown, well, sort of anyway.  The lady concerned was a brunette not a blonde; she wasn't naked but was dressed head to foot in pink.  Finally she was taking a 4500 name petition in support of Ridding for Disabled to the Council House.  Even the local European Muppet Person got in on the act.  Daft I calls it!

Today would have been my brothers birthday.  He would have been 63 today if he hadn't died in 2009.  All too often people assume that because we were brother we loved each. Nothing could be further from the truth!!!  We both loathed each other and only tolerated each for the sake of our mother.  To me Dave was a boring, drab man with little intelligence and even less ambition; that's why he was still living at home with mother instead of getting married and having kids.  To him I was always a traitor to the family for leaving home and joining the army.  He used to accuse me of  being a snob and thinking that I was better than they were.  Where that came from I don't know!  Well, 58 was a young age to die, too young really.  But perhaps he was better off going when he did seeing as when we started sorting out his estate and mothers affairs, we found a lot of irregularities.  If he had lived he would have to answer for them and I don't think he would have been able to deal with it at all, I really don't.
Another book got thrown out the other night; this time  Jo Nesbo.  Didn't get on with that one at all.  Stephen King was on the telly today because his new released a fallow-up to The Shinning.  I haven't read that one and perhaps I should do so.  Anyway, King was not at all pleased with way the book was filmed saying that the characters had been altered.  But surely that's normal when books are turned in to films?  I always thought so anyway.  The old saying of words and pictures comes to mind here. 
 
And so to photo ... 

The real Godiva on her hoss!

And funny time ...

The wife left a note on the fridge.......... "It's not working!!! I can't take it anymore, I've gone to stay at mum's" I opened the fridge, the light came on and the beer was cold. God know's what she's on about....                  

No comments:

Post a Comment