Saturday 7 September 2013

Bad news, good news and Kile's photos



7 September 2013

Saturday morning and all's well.  At least so far that is.  Reading the Dorktown Telegraph shows a different slant though.  Two downers are on the front page; one is the ongoing sorry saga at Coventry City and the other is the trial of two men accused of the death of man they attacked outside a pub in Coventry.  I suppose that if a newspaper only concentrated on the good news they wouldn't sell many papers at all.  So I wonder why we all have such a need to read about the miss-fortunes of others? 

It's like those telly shows where folk seem to be queuing up to tell the nation about their problems.  Why?  Some of the things I've noticed on there as I've quickly searched for something decent to watch and the odd time it's been on when in the hospital or GP's waiting room, are pretty damning.  One I remember was something along the lines of "I slept with my wife's sister but she won't forgive me."  Is anyone surprised by that?  I was!  Why the hell would someone actually want or be proud enough of it to admit it on day time TV?  All part of the 15 minutes of fame crap that's so popular these days I suppose.

What do you make of that 100 vehicle smash up in Kent then?  Thick fog, driving too fast too close and that sort of smash will happen at some time.  Luckily no-one was killed this time but with autumn and winter on the way it won't be long will it.    

Anyway, back to the Telegraph ... I always thought that first circumnavigation of the world was done by a Portuguese ship.  Not so according to the Telegraph; they are claiming that the ship Vittoria under the command of a guy named Dell Cano, sailed into a port in Spain in on this day in 1522.  The original commander was killed in action during the voyage.

And now I have to find a photo ... oh, no, before I do, I've mentioned how well Kile is doing with his photos.  Jan posted a load of them on Facebook last night; here's the link for them ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=728071710541974&set=a.728070657208746.1073741834.100000174544790&type=1&theater ... which will show off his work.

And from me ... 

this beauty was parked just around the corner from us.

And for a funny ...

A paper bag goes to the doctors because he's all itchy & has an embarrassing little rash. The doctor gives him an examination & tells him he's got VD. The paper bag starts sobbing & says "But I've only ever slept with one other bag in my life!" The doctor replies "Well, she must have been a carrier"       

No comments:

Post a Comment