Monday 16 September 2013

Cameras, lenses and saved dosh



16 September 2013

There's a company that advertises in Amateur Photographer every week as well as most of the monthly photo-mags too.  The company is called Mifsuds and is based in Brixham.  For some time now they have had a Sigma 600mm Minolta/Sony auto-focus lens.  I've been fancying buying it for some time.  While I was in Paignton I visited Mifsuds to see if I could actually try the lens on my A77.  However, I was told that it had been sold; ah well ... but now several months down the line and that lens is still being advertised.  Normally I would be rather peeved at being lied to, but in actual fact I'm not.  I had already been told that the lens would not work on my A77.  A few years ago a lens manufacturer called Samyang brought two new lens, a 500mm and a 600mm mirror lenses.  I tried them both and went for the 500m. 

That lens has worked OK on A350 but when I tried it on my A77 this morning it wouldn't work at all.  But think about it folks ... Mifsuds could have sold me that 600mm lens knowing full well that it wouldn't work on my camera body.  By not doing so they lost a £350 sale.  In this day and age it seems odd to turn away a sale of that sort of price.  But is it odd?  How much of a fuss would I made if they had sold it and I couldn't get it to work on my camera?  There's no telling now of course but the publicity over it wouldn't have done them all that much good would it.  So thank you Mifsuds for saving me £350!!!

I've become aware of another issue with my A77 and PS Elements combo; if I take images in black and white they show as black and white in the camera back screen.  However, when I load them on the my lappy they copying over as colour images and I have to convert them to black and white in Elements.  This is rather annoying really and adds to the work flow when I have a lot of images to work though.  Yesterday I said I would post one of the Hussy statue in town, here it is ...
 

Jenny brings her new boyfriend round for tea to meet her parents. They meet him at the door and her mother grasps his hand and says  'Hello, Michael isn't it?'
He looks at the mother then the father and nods his head 'yes ma'am, Michael f**king, b***ard, s**t, c**t, f**king Jones'.
Shocked the mother steps to one side, the father puts his hands on her shoulders, then with a dismayed look mutters 'Oh, I'm sorry Michael, Jenny never said you had tourette's '
Michael looked at him and replied ' I don't....... but the vicar at my christening did'
          

No comments:

Post a Comment