Tuesday 24 September 2013

Drugs, landowners and cheap togs



24 September 2013

We are being well served by the cops here in Dorktown.  It seems that they have so much work to do that they had borrow a few officers from West Mercia to help with the operation last Friday.  Over twenty cops, some of them armed officers raided that house in Bracebridge Street and arrest a man and a woman.  That also found 'a quantity of Class B drugs,' thought to be cannabis.  The couple were later released on police bail that same afternoon.  So some officers were borrowed to make up numbers, but did it really need 20+ officers to raid one house?  I'm not so sure!

If I owned a chunk of land and leased it to someone for 25 years surely I then have the right not to renew that lease when the old one ended.  Apparently not according to the Riding for the Disabled group who have taken the council to court to force them to renew their lease.  Am I missing something here?  As long as a landowner isn't breaking any laws or causing a nuisance to others, what he does with that land is down to him; at least that's what I have always thought anyway.  The repercussions on this case could be very wide ranging.  This is another one I shall be keeping an eye on.

I found a vital piece of information this morning while reading the News.  I now know why I sleep so badly and can now look forward to lots of decent sleep.  Oh yes, that information is that in France it is illegal to call a pig Napoleon.  Is it OK to call him crazy frog then?

We have just watched last night's Panorama.  This week it was about the UK high street chains who out-source their clothing to Bangladesh.  The recent collapse of a building containing a clothing factory that killed hundreds of workers was at the centre.  The team visited a lot of other factories where there have been fires where people had died and found evidence of the chains stock.  Edinburgh Woollen Mill and a few others didn't come out very well in it.  They won't accept that their stock was made in the factories investigated.  It wasn't just safety that was looked at; working hours were included too.  In some cases 19 hour shifts are being worked by people earning just £2 a day.  The owners show the buyers one set of books relating to the hours worked but kept the real book well under wraps.  And when I look at the price of some these items in the stores, I start to wonder just how they get away with it!

And so to a photo ... 

a tree blown over in a park in Weston.

And funny time ...
Paddy was driving down the street in a sweat because he had an important meeting and couldn't find a parking place. Looking up to heaven he said, 'Lord take pity on me. If you find me a parking place I will go to Mass every Sunday for the rest of me life and give up me Irish Whiskey!' Miraculously, a parking place appeared. Paddy looked up again and said, 'Never mind, I found one.'                   

No comments:

Post a Comment