Sunday 1 July 2012

Boxes, organ donors and £30

1 July

A lazy day today - or at least that is what I was hoping for.  It started OK with me getting up at 9.45am and sitting have a cuppa or two.  I had planned to a little bit of work this morning but the 'little' bit turned into a 'big' bit.  There was more to what I had planned than I realised.  Now that I have finished it all though I can really see the difference it has made to the way the place looks.  The hallway is now almost clear of packed boxes, just two more that have my books in them still to do and the lounge is clear of them.  Now I can start setting out my books as I want them and getting my desk sorted and set up how I want it ... for five minutes anyway ;-)))

I am currently reading two paperbacks, Dead Tomorrow by Peter James and The Way Between the Worlds by Ian Irvine.  The Irvine is the last of his 'Mirror' series of four books and they are a huge story and one that I have fully enjoyed.  

The James book is one of his Roy Grace series.  In this one three bodies are found when a dredger sucks up one while taking gravel from the sea off Shoreham.  Police divers then find another two.  But here's the thing ... all are young people or teenagers and all have been 'gutted' - that is, all there vital organs have been harvested.  Now the race is on to find the killers before anyone more die in the same way.  Add in the girl in Brighton who is waiting for an emergency liver transplant and the tension increases.  Now then ...

Since I started this book I have been thinking about organ donation quite a bit more than normal; actually I don't think about it at all seeing as both Jan and I are registered as organ donors and carry a Donor Card.  We both know what each other's wishes are in this respect so there should be no problem when the time comes.  I'm sure you are all aware that there is massive shortage of donor organs, but I wonder how you stand on the issue of compulsory harvesting of organs rather that the voluntary system we have here in the UK.  Would you take the opt out route because you feel that such thing be a gift, not a compulsion?  This is where I have been thinking about the issue but I can't come to a conclusion on it.  You all need to be aware of it as a serious issue and I wish you all well in how you decide.

My regular readers will be aware that I take all sorts of photos in all sorts of places.  So for today I give you ... 

... a Spring time shot of two buds and some moss on  a twig.  I have no idea where or when I got this shot though.

Funny time ...

A priest in Ireland had to visit London, he had never been out of Ireland before and as he walked down the London streets he was stopped many times by young ladies, who all said 'Hello Father, £30 for a quickie', he was very puzzled and when he got back to Ireland he rang the Mother Superior in the convent for advice. After inquiring about her health he said; 'Tell me Mother, what is a quickie?' Thirty pounds, same as it is in London ' she retorted,

No comments:

Post a Comment