Tuesday 10 July 2012

Bloody angry and a golf ball!

10 July 2012

We have just watched last night's Panorama on Catch Up TV.  Did you see it?  If not and you have BBC iPlayer, then please do watch it.  Basically it's another look at the current plight of the 'haves and have not's in the UK.  This time it compares 2012 with the mid 1970s.  I think most of us can see how bad it really is for a lot of people - like the two young girls who are walking the 6-7 miles into Doncaster to the Job Centre - and back home again, obviously wanting a job, trying hard to get one but can't find one. 

But I got really angry with the smug condescending prat who last year took home £36 million who claimed it is now time to start to forgive the bankers for what they did to cause the banking crisis.  Yet even he saw there was inequality within the system and was saying that as the differences grow social tension will increase.  But I bet he won't take a pay cut!  I wonder how much tax he paid on that?

The young people of today seem to be stuck in a hard place.  It seems that they are in wrong quite simply because they are doing what's right; it's a case damned if they do, damned if they don't.  Depending on view point they are either sitting at home playing computer games, eating junk food and getting fat or they are hanging around street corners taking drugs and being anti-social to everyone.  Yet there seems to be more and more of them looking for work.  And what of all those who are gaining such high pass rates in their exams?  Surely they can't be getting on junk food, taking drugs AND getting good A level results?

A lady who works as a school administrator was on the show; a single mum working full time and bringing up two children.  She is struggling to do so sometimes going with little or no food to ensure that her kids are fed properly.  She's not on her own there either.  There seems to be a lot of folk doing that. 

Another issue raised is inflation.  Food prices are increasing by a huge amount each week with some items increasing by up to 26% in four years.  Increasing energy costs are crippling people and businesses although I have noticed that diesel price is down a good bit on a few weeks ago thankfully.  And yes, wages are not going up by anywhere near as much - if not being held back or reduced.
I have no idea how to sort all this out, if I did I wouldn't have worked in manual jobs all my life but would be drawing £36 million a year like the man on telly last night.  Oh what a nice though hey?  But there again, I would probably be saying the same as he was - and that just won't do! 

Today's photo I got in Coventry one day ... 

It amused me to think that they may have been trying to call each other.

A funny ...

A man staggers into an emergency room with two black eyes and a five iron
wrapped tightly around his throat. Naturally the doctor asks him what
happened.
Well, it was like this, said the man. I was having a quiet round of golf
with my wife, when she sliced her ball into a pasture of cows.
We went to look for it, and while I was rooting around I noticed one of
the cows had something white at its rear end. I walked over and lifted up
the tail, and sure enough, there was my wife's golf ball........stuck
right in the middle of the cow's butt. That's when I made my mistake.
"What did you do?" asks the doctor.
Well, I lifted the tail and yelled to my wife, "Hey, this looks like
yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment