Sunday 22 July 2012

Reading, Writing and a health scare

22 July 2012

No Sunday Express now since our move.  That means I have to make it all up mesen ;-)))  Actually, I never really did make it up, I just wrote what came into me 'ed!  So this morning I first of all had a look at Facebook and one of my FB friends posted a photo of his little Yorkie.  The resemblance to our own Yorkie, Cindy-pup, is very clear.  She's the one on my profile pic for here.  She was only 3 1/2 when she died.  We still miss her lots.

Kile is still with us, little monster as he is ;-)))  He's just gone off to church with Jan.  Tomorrow while Jan is at the hospital I shall take him over to the air museum beside Coventry airport.  He saw a picture of a Vulcan bomber on my lappy last evening so I promised I'd take him to see a real one.  Mind you, I've been looking for an excuse to go over there for some time, Jan's not really interested in planes unless she's on one heading for the sun.

It's been nearly two months since I last opened and used my netbook 'puter.  So this morning I thought I'd better get its battery charged up ready for when I do need it.  As it worked out, it happened lost all that much charge since I last used it.  That was a surprise really.  It's safely on charge now anyway. 
I'm still at a loss with my writing right now.  Photo Finish is stuck at about around 6000 works and Happyman (do you remember that one), at around 37,000 words.  I just can't see where to take either of them.  In reality though Happyman came to a stop last November when I took up the NANOWRIMO challenge.  After a month I couldn't get my head around it when I did start it again.  Now the same has happened with Photo Finish.  This one stopped last month with Jan going into hospital and all the rush to get packed ready for the move and getting the house ready for sale.  The strange thing is, I'm not getting any more story lines either.  I'm hoping I'm not 'written out' - if you see what I mean.

The book I am currently reading is Zero Balance by Ashley Fontainne.   It's a good story of revenge and is the second of a three volume set.  It does have a few niggles for me.  It's set in the States, Arizona to be exact and there's a lot of strange spellings and so on that you can expect for American writers.  But there is one that is driving me nuts right now.  One of the characters named Robert is according to Fontainne being 'drug' around by another one.  Surely that should be dragged around?  I shall be sending an email to ask and will let you what she says about it. 

And on the issue of reading and spellings - have you read the article in Writers Mag under the DT Column?  It's about style.  Now let me be upfront about this ... I write 'ized' not 'ised' when it is needed.  Why?  Well that is down to the Inspector Morse shows where he makes a big thing of it in one show.  But me old mate Bill Howe was telling me a bit more about the issue a few weeks ago.  It seems that 'ized' is an Oxford style, whereas 'ised' is a Cambridge style.  And here I was thinking that it was the difference between Yanks and Brits.  Now to reading ...

All the mags and so on say that to be a writer you have to be a reader.  OK, fine but I am a very slow reader.  If I was to read as much as it would like to I wouldn't get any writing done at all.  So where does that leave me?  In a crazy place I think.  Still, I'll see how things go eh ;-)))

Yesterday you had two shots of Kile so today you can have this one ... 

Kile and his dad - all 6' 4" of him at Southsea.

And a health scare for a funny ...      

Customer: Worcester sauce crisps please
Shopkeeper: Sorry can't, it's off the shelves, cancer scare.
Customer: Oh right, Chinese Chicken Wings?
Shopkeeper: Ah that's the same, Cancer scare
Customer: Hamburger Relish?
Shopkeeper: Cancer scare
Customer: Sausage and Mash?
Shopkeeper: Cancer scare
Customer: Cottage Pie?
Shopkeeper: Yes, ...no wait, Cancer scare.
Customer: So they're all off the shelves because of a Cancer scare?
Shopkeeper: Yes
Customer: (sigh) Just give me a packet of fags then.
Shopkeeper: Certainly. £4.50 please.
Customer: Thanks           

No comments:

Post a Comment