Wednesday 18 July 2012

A pint or two, 'beauty' and birds

18 July 2012

Considering that the weather forecast was for rain most of the day, we are doing well seeing as we haven't had any yet.  They were saying that the jet stream is going to be moving north to where it should be at this time of year.  But how do they actually know it's going to happen.  They can't get a day to day forecast right so how can we depend on them getting that right?

The battle for the Fusiliers has supposedly gained a 'powerful' backer in the Council Leader.  There's hope that the three local Muppets also back the petition.  I doubt it though.  At least two of them are Tories and I can't see them going against the party whip on this issue.  It's sad really Dan Bales was an Army officer until fairly recently.  Surely he at least understands the role of the military and its future needs better than most of the other Muppets.

Jan has just been saying that one of the writers she follows on Facebook has sent 25 messages in a fairly short time frame.  Jan stopped counting at 25.  It makes me wonder just how she manages to get any writing done.  I've been worrying a bit about it for that 5 or 6 weeks seeing as I haven't done any writing apart from this blog.  There won't be much done today either seeing as I have to go back to the house so that one of our new neighbours can come a pick up a load of stuff for the dog charity the collect for.  I suppose I could take my netbook with me and try to get some done while I wait.  We'll see ...

My copy of Bird Watching has arrived this morning.  I looked at the front cover and couldn't believe the photo on there.  It's a kingfisher in dive mode.  I looked at Jan and said, "I'm getting all my photo gear together and you can take photos of them all and sell the lot on eBay.  I'm giving up!"  Then I showed her the cover photo.  She laughed!  I get like that a lot with the photos in some of the mags I buy.  the RSPV's Birds is another great one bird shots.  I won't of course be getting rid of all my photo gear.  It's not the gear that's at fault; it's my lack of skill, lack of getting out to the locations where these birds can be found.  One day I shall be organised enough to get such brilliant shots.

While Jan was out last night I recorded Beauty and the Beast so we could watch it together this morning.  We finished it at just on 10am.  I just can't get my head around some of the people on the show.  Last night it was a lass from Oldham who is spending a fortune on beauty treatments so she could look more 'beautiful'.  A news flash for her, she now looks really ugly, at least to me!  All the operations she's had - I'm surprised that her employer hasn't got fed-up with her having time off and sacked her.  It's crazy - she spent 6 hours getting ready to go out for the night; she even has a makeup artist visit to do her make up because she can't stand to look at herself in the mirror.  All of that so she could get attention from men she might meet!  So sad ... ... ...

Bird photos then - I do occasionally get a good one, like this one ... 

a goldfinch on a niger feeder somewhere.

And today's funny ...

On a holiday together, a group of blokes decided to tour the brewery where their favourite beer was made. As they marvelled at the process, one of them slipped and fell into a huge vat of beer.
Brewery workers tried to save him while his friends waited outside.
Half an hour later, the supervisor came out to tell the men the bad news, their friend had drowned. "Do you think he suffered much?" one of them asked.
"I don't think so," said the supervisor. "In fact, before he drowned, he climbed out three times to go to the lavatory."

No comments:

Post a Comment