Thursday 5 July 2012

Restoration, scams and a full stop.

5 July 2012

I don't know what is wrong with the newsagents in this area, I really don't.  Yesterday we had a visit from the young lass who is delivering newspapers in this area.  This morning we got up to find this morning's paper through the letterbox.  There's obviously a need so why won't the agents meet it?  Well, it's them losing out on the sales, not me.
There's a new scam on the way folks - well, its new to me.  It seems that a man dressed as a chef is knocking on peoples door offer to cook a meal as part of a demonstration of a new set of cooking pans.  It then turns into a high pressure aggressive sales pitch.  These people will try anything to part folks from their cash. 

This morning I got up to two emails, one from a friend Andrew who lives fairly close to us.  The other is from the Co-op Bank.  That one has all the markings of being yet another banking scam by someone trying it on.  I don't bank with the Co-op nor have I ever done so and I don't think that they would contact me by email to say my account is suspended even if I did.  Two reason for that; a, I don't believe they would do so and b, I never give my email address out to my bank or anyone else - I get enough crap come through as it is.  I've just phoned them and they are already aware of the scam.  So I'm not the only one has decided to check on it then.

So then, back to the News today.  A few miles outside town there's an old village called Astley.  Along very nice old a very old Anglican church there is a building called Astley Castle dating back to the 13th Century, or at least there used to be.  It burned down one day while the owner stood by and watched.  Well, there was very little of it left after the fire.  I used to have a photo of the wreck but can't find it now.  Anyway ... the castle has been rebuilt and converted into flats for holiday lets.  I'm not sure it actually works like that you know.  All the original features have gone, indeed, when I last saw the place it was just a pile of old sandstone blocks.  Whatever, is finished and they are having an open day later this month.  I don't think I shall be going though.

Today's photo ... 

This one was taken in Dorktown market a couple of years ago.  The guy is eating chips from the chippy around the corner from where he is sat.  The chippy is known as Topper's and it was one of the best chippy's in town.  Right now it was pretty dire when I tried it a few weeks ago.

Today's funny ...

The kindergarten class had a homework assignment to find out about something exciting and relate it to the class the next day. When the time came for the little kids to give their reports, the teacher was calling on them one at a time. She was reluctant to call upon little Johnnie, knowing that he sometimes could be a bit crude.
But eventually his turn came. Little Johnnie walked up to the front of the class, and with a piece of chalk, made a small white dot on the blackboard, then sat back down. Well the teacher couldn't figure out what Johnnie had in mind for his report on something exciting, so she asked him just what that was.
"It's a period" reported Johnnie.
"Well I can see that" she said. "But what is so exciting about a period?"
"Damned if I know" said Johnnie, "but this morning my sister said she missed one. Then Daddy had a heart attack, Mommy fainted and the man next door shot himself."   

No comments:

Post a Comment