Monday 31 October 2016

The story goes on ...


31 October


Why do so many folks seem to hate Monday? Or is it the British desire to find something to moan about? Whatever the reason, For me it’s another to be productive on my lappy or with pen and paper.


Our feathered lodger was playing silly games again yesterday, but this time it was on my neck where she was pecking away happily there. No, I didn’t chase her off, she wasn’t hurting anything, but she did make my hairs stand on end at times. At least she is coming to me, Maxi never has, although he is getting better since Arnie has been here. Mind you, she has got into the habit of pooping every time she lands on the screen of Jan’s lappy - pets eh .. who’d have ‘em.


Oh dear, crazy season is likely to continue on right up to and through Christmas. Year after year the news on telly shows films of passengers who have left it too late to travel home, arriving at London stations and Victoria coach station after the last service has left. This year it’s likely to be even worse because the railway system is closing down over the holiday for upgrades to be made. The airports are likely to be facing strikes. These workers really do know when to pick their times don’t they? For me it smacks of blackmail more than strikes for worker’s rights.


It’s Halloween today, for those who get excited in the thing, we don’t, but hey ho … However, clicking through the MSN home page and I found this story … http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/witches-marks-public-asked-to-seek-ancient-scratchings-in-buildings/ar-AAjCNjB?li=AAdeCd7&ocid=spartandhp There is no doubt that witchcraft has been a huge fear for people going back through the ages. However, whether or not it actually exists I shall leave to you to decide for yourselves. For me, it doesn’t and that’s probably why I like the Harry Potter books/films, simply because I don’t take them at all seriously.


However, that is the role of fiction surely? No matter what genre you read, you don’t need to take them seriously at all. I mean, how can you take sci/fi seriously? Fiction for me is the chance though, is to get away from real life for a few hours and to escape into a world of make-believe. Even crime fiction can allow us to do that. I mean, how many of us personally know a murderer? I certainly don’t. Crime writers can really allow their imaginations to run away with their storylines. That is why I like writing them.


For instance, my first novel, The Mission, is based here abouts but ranges throughout England and Wales. My killer in this one travels around killing quite a number of people, and the chase to catch him. The murders are all different, as are all the victims, which means no clear MO can be found. He taunts the police as he goes on. My biggest worry however, is that life will mirror the fiction, something I would hope all writers feel.


Today’s photo …


Reflections of me.


Today’s funny …


What noise does a witch's breakfast cereal make?
Snap, cackle, pop.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment