Wednesday 12 October 2016

More on writing


12 October


There’s an old saying that goes along the lines of there being a book in every one of us. That may be so, but there isn’t a writer in every one of us, or is there? Perhaps some folks just don’t think about becoming a writer; perhaps others think they couldn’t be a writer. There may be those who would love to try it but are afraid of rejection ridicule, or perhaps not being good enough to be compared to likes of the current top line writers. I felt a bit of that a couple of years ago over my Fred Copper books. They are set in Cambridge; my fear was that they would be judged as just being cheap copies of the Morse books that are set in Oxford. I soon overcame that one when Simon Whaley put my mind at ease when I ask him about it, so thanks Simon.


On the opposite end of the scale there are others who think writing is easy, that they could bang out a new book every year. What these folks don’t realise is the actual amount of work involved in produce each book, let alone one a year. In a way, they are right, it can be easy to write. I wonder how many manage to finish NANOWRIMO every November, and that is just 50,00 words in 30 days, just shy of 1700 words a day. What isn’t easy is the editing, the proof reading and once published the need to market your work, both to an agent or a publisher. That is when the hard work begins.


An easier way might be to self-publish. However, there are some serious scams out there waiting to catch out unwary writers. There’s also the ‘vanity publishers’ who promise is the world, charge the earth for it and do nothing or next to nothing for it. So then, I have begun my subscription to Writing Magazine again and the first copy carries the story of Adam Croft, a self-taught writer-self publisher who has sold £1millions worth books. Now he is a man I want to read about and learn from.


If at any time you meet someone who claims to be a writer but then says they do it because they love writing and are not worried about making it to the top, then they are telling porkies. We all secretly hope to become as well known as the current top list of writers. However, to get there you need and enormous amount of luck, as well as a book that a publisher is will to take a chance on and run with. The chances of that happening when you are pounding out a new one very twelve months, only to find out later that they are all very similar.


That is something I have realised with my writing I’m sad to say, at least, in one aspect. I made a note about it last week to make sure I change one part of the story line in Bristol Fashion. I hope to do that later, if I can think up a way of getting the story back on track. I have two ideas spinning at the back of mind, so I should be able to do so. And so it goes on …


Right now I’m not at all happy with the new Fred Copper I’m part way through. It feels weak to me, and if I feel that, how what will others thing of it? That one needs a through re-write I’m afraid. There are elements of it that are fine and will remain in the re-write, but there’s a lot of crap in there too. Even when I take the crap out, they won’t be ditched, oh no, they will be pasted into a new document where they will sit and wait for a more suitable place for them.


Yesterday I had my B12 and Flu jab. Our GP is now giving out a survey form for us to fill out a week after having the flu jab. It’s about any side affects you might fell after getting it, although the nurse was pretty quick to add that they were not expecting anyone to have them.


So, today’s photo …


It’s not all boy’s toys.


Today’s funny …


Customer: Could I have a puppy for my son please?
Pet Shop Assistant: Sorry sir, we don't do swops.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment