Tuesday 31 May 2016

Weather, day trips out and I'm tired


31 May



We were up in the middles of the night this morning, well, 7.15 is middle of the night to us, and right now I’m feeling it too. I’ve had to have a fasting blood test and that means making an appointment, and that was for 8.05. Their list was all over the place with names being called at all sorts of times and in any order. Ah well, it’s done now and I shall make an appointment for diabetic clinic for about 14 days time.



Ah, now that’s better. I was sat here nodding off so I went back to bed for a couple of hours. Can’t remember when I was that tired before.



Have you noticed the growing number of writers who now have a second writer named on their books? That was why I stopped buying and reading Tom Clancy books a few years ago. I did but one or two and they were nowhere near as good as when he was writing by himself. And here’s the thing, if he did have an input, there was no way of knowing just how much of an input he had. I buy a book because I like the named the writer, not because I like his ‘co-writer’. There’s quite a lot of writers doing this now and I was disappointed when I saw the Wilbur Smith had taken it up too. How sad … … …



Moving on to mental illness again then; I have been wondering if by highlighting the issue as much as I when on-line, and reading so much about too, whether it can cause the condition to worsen. For me, I can feel depression coming on at times, it’s like a think black cloud rolling in over me, sapping all the energy from me. There is nothing I can do when it happens either other that wait for it to roll off again. When it does roll off, I probably don’t realise it for a couple of hours, it’s a really strange feeling too.



Me old mate Bill Howe has been in touch with a history lesson on that man Spartacus. It seems he was a real man and he was renown as a strategist. The scene in the film where all his fighters were crucified along the Applian Way was indeed true. I’ve since found the flowing which might be worth a read if you wish to look into it … http://www.livius.org/sources/content/plutarch/plutarchs-crassus/plutarch-on-spartacus/?  Bill says that what happened to Spartacus during this time is right, so any story that takes up his life after that event is really up to the writer. Whatever, I am enjoying the read anyway.



There does seem to be quite a few books around at the minute about the Roman Empire, rising, falling, struggling along, corrupt and cruel in the extreme. This current read is the first one I have tried, so maybe I might move on to others when this one is finished, I’ll wait and see. I do have the two follow up books anyway so they will get read at some time anyway. But there again, there’s a new Ed James due out soon, Ian Rankin can’t be far off releasing another one. Then there’s all the other crime writers I like, and don’t forget the sci-fi and phantasies ae well. I don’t think I shall be running out of reading matter too quickly. There’s a tee shirt out I fancy with the words, So Many Books, So Little Time on the front. It’s true you know, oh so true.



Kile is due here tomorrow for a few days and we have plans to take him to Twycross Zoo on Thursday, dependant on weather of course. Twycross is only about seven miles from us here and is an easy run along the A444, which is just at the bottom of our street, a right turn, and it’s there in front of us. We have taken him there before but he doesn’t remember it. Actually, he was in a bit of a strop at the time anyway. This time when we take him, he will have his Sony DSLR with him, and loves using that hunk of kit. Friday he is off to his asthma clinic at his GP and he can back from there. We don’t want him here on Sunday because I have a hospital appointment and we don’t want him worrying about it. He tends to fret when one of us ill, better him not knowing I think.



So today’s photo …

Kile and his Sony.



Today’s funny …



What do you call a secret agent that hangs around department stores?
A counterspy.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment