Monday 30 May 2016

Facebook and note taking


30 May



My right hip began playing up again yesterday again. At least we hadn’t made any plans to go anywhere. I’m due to visit Vampire Hall up at the Hussy at 8am for a fasting blood test tomorrow morning. We looking forward to that cos we don’t do early mornings. Still, it gets it done out of the way I suppose.



Facebook again; I’ve come across another writer here in Dorktown, Robert Southworth. Robert writes historical fiction and the one I’m reading on my kindle right now is Spartacus, first in a set of three. A lot of us older folk are perhaps used to seeing Spartacus dying on a cross at the end of Kirk Douglas film. Robert however keeps our man alive and sends him off on a mission with a Roman guy. There’s not much trust between them to start off with, but it does come slowly.



And that is where I am trying to get to – at what point does historical fiction stray into the world of fantasy? As far as I am aware, Spartacus is a myth anyway, so all the books that say differently are a fantasy too. This is the first such book I have read, and it’s not a bad read either, so I can only judge this one. It certainly shows to twisted and cruel Romans in a bad light, but there again, we already knew that anyway. The events on the story take place over two millennia ago, so it’s fairly safe to play with the history. But what of other closer times? There are fiction stories already coming out from the second Golf War and Afghanistan. Are they fantasy, or they just adventure novels? In the end I don’t suppose it really matter if you enjoy reading them.



Remaining on Facebook for now then … one of the groups on there I’m a member of is for the Army Catering Corps. I know a few of the guys on there at least, but although the Corps was small, the number of soldiers who served in it is quite large. Anyway, one of our members posted a photo of a 24 hour ration pack. These packs were given to soldiers when they were an exercise in the filed for the full 24 hours. I’ve seen a lot of those packs my friends, but the one in that photo was issued after I left the Corps in 1979. It had Oxo cubes in it, along with Spangles (remember those?) and Rollos too.



Those Oxo cubes got me thinking about the ones we have in our kitchen cupboard and how many of them get wasted after they have gone hard and are difficult to crumble up. After a tip on Facebook, I now crush them while still in their foil packaging. So much easier. Now though, we only buy the smaller number boxes, usually 12 cubes. Only to cut down on the waste though. I used to have one crumbled in a mug with the hot water as a drink, now I don’t, I wonder why?



We writers are advised to keep a notebook to hand for whenever an idea comes to us. Then we can make a note of it, like this morning while sat here typing this, a thought came to mind, I made a note of it before I forgot about it. There’s quite a few notebooks around here right now, like the one sat here beside me, they get a lot of use. What’ve notice however, is just how few of those notes actually get used. The three subjects mentioned here this morning are all listed in my note book, so they have been used. I’ve just looked back through it and I can see just how few of them do get taken up and used.



In this notebook, I found the start of a story I had noted down. Its start is based in a pub with a man found dead in disabled toilet. He was carrying a copy of Michael Connerly’s The Poet, and the lead investigator shivers when he sees that the deceased had made a note of one particular passage in that book. That passage was just six words; ‘Out of space; out of time.’ I was reading the book when this idea came to my mind and those six words gave a nudge to make a note of it. So yes, some of the notes I make do get used.



Today’s photo …

A much better shot of Maxi that Jan got yesterday.



Today’s funny …


Why do elephants have trunks?
Because they don't have pockets to put things in.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment