Sunday 1 May 2016

Shopping and a few books


1 May



We did get to Coventry yesterday and we did get what the car-cam Jan was after. From the first results I saw last evening it seems to do the job just as we wanted. By then Jan was very thirsty again so we dropped into a pub called the Signal Box, a fairly new pub we’ve been in just once. When we came of there it was raining quite hard so after a quick visit to Tesco Arena we headed off home via The Anker, for the first time in 12 months. We finally arrived home around 5.45.



Why didn’t we head for the city centre, was not solely down to the rain, although that really was reason enough. I’ve spoken on here about rain being no fun for folk in scooters or wheelchairs. On top of that tomorrow is a bank holiday; parking in Coventry city centre can be a real pain on a normal Saturday, but two days before a bank holiday? Oh no, no way.



The other night I started to read another new writer to me, Tom Fox; the book, Dominos, is based in and round The Vatican and Rome. It starts with a very disabled Pope who is healed by a stranger who interrupts Mass. The Pope then falls to his knees and kisses the man’s hand. The story itself is then wrapped around the widening circling ripples of the event. There is much made of corruption within The Vatican, a lot of. The Pope has set his eyes on clearing it all out; what he didn’t expect is the vastness of that corruption. What of the stranger? Is he part of it too? What this story isn’t, is a Dan Brown story without all the art history, oh no, it’s far from that. More later …



What else have I got on the go? Well, there’s Parry Hotter 2 (for third time); I started them again when I wanted something a lot lighter in plot and easier on the mind, Hotter is very good for that. I also have Spartacus by Robert Southwold, a fellow Dorktowner. This in another entertaining novel that begins with the final battle in which Spartacus and his army were defeated by the Roman army. However, the main man doesn’t die in this one but is recruited by a Roman to fight on his behalf in some scheme that that he doesn’t know the full extent of. Between the lines I can see the deepening of love and respect of the two men, who have every reason to hate each.



Somehow I have managed to get hold of a two-novel volume of Val McDermid books, she of the Wire in the Blood TV series. I don’t like to read two books by the same writer straight after each. The first one which I finished last week was The Torment of Others, another Tony Hill story. All the usual crime ingredients are there, murder, drugs, booze, corrupt cops … But that doesn’t worry me, that what crime fiction is all about when you bring it all down to basics. This one however, adds a secret ingredient, known only by the name The Voice. The second novel in that book is called The Mermaids Singing, another Tony Hill story – more later … … …  



On top of that I have my usual photo-mags and other bits that I buy when I am out and about. After so months of buying these mags though, I am starting to get a bit jaded by them, so we have cancelled the subscriptions. So while I was in Tesco yesterday and saw BBC Good Food mag and bought that to see if it was worth have a go at regularly. Well, taking out a subscription will get us a Roberts DAB radio for nowt, but even so, I don’t think it’s worth it really. We don’t have a radio on normally and I can’t see that changing just because it’s a freebie. As for the mag itself, it’s well produced and the food content is excellent, and I have found a couple that with a few alterations, I can see Jan eating them. But overall, no, sorry, not for Jan and they are too costly just for me.

Today’s Photo …

A tatty looking penguin.



Today’s funny …



Did you hear about the prisoner who talked very slowly?
He took twenty five years to finish a sentence.
       


No comments:

Post a Comment