Saturday 16 April 2016

Thursday's Maly Dale


16 April



Yesterday, if you hadn’t guessed was a bad day for me. Right from the off I was feeling really low and run down. I didn’t have a bad night but I was still tired out all day. It’s the way the black dog bits at times and I have to try to live with it; but it is hard … I finally picked up in the afternoon when Kile arrived here. He comes here because every other week Jan picks up Vicki, his step sister and takes her up to spend the weekend with Kile and his step dad. So Kile comes here and Jan takes him up home at the same time. He’s not here long enough to settle down really, but it was enough to cheer me up at least.



On Thursday while we were shopping, I picked up and Maily Dale, and I forgot about it. So last night I began reading it, late I know, but it wasn’t totally wasted though. On the letters page, page 59 I small item caught my attention. The letter was from an English man living in Spain who ask if it is time for major constitutional changes here in the UK. He points out that we don’t have a constitution as in the US. That document and War of Independence came about because of the excess in British rule that prevent the Americans from taking an active part in political life.



Right now this ex-pat sees exactly the same in how the EU rules supreme in Europe with our own government being limited in scoop. So he calls for a change and for the UK to have its own constitution. However, he seems to have forgotten that our current leaders are the ones who need to on board to board such a move to make it work. Can you see that happening? No, nor can I! The only other way is a civil war, and I see very little appetite for that, thankfully.



On the same page, another ex-pat writes, ‘I believe the monarchy will die with our current queen.’ He then goes on to explain why, with references to all four of her kids and what they have done and how they live. Regular readers will know that I am no lover of the royals so this letter really does strike a chord with me because I feel the same about Charlie-boy and his siblings. However, (I do love that word, makes ‘but’ almost redundant) There’s a change that Willy and Cate might be a lot better than any of them. I’m willing to give him a chance anyway.



And finally, on page 12 there’s a piece about the migrant crisis in Europe, and it seems that the writer feels that same as I do and this is an unstoppable crisis. While our attention has been drawn to Greece another 9,000+ crossed the Med to Italy, and we didn’t hear a word about it! There’s so much poverty in Africa and in most of the Islamic countries, there will always be those who are ready to die to make a better life. Countries like Saudi are oil-rich and all the earnings from it go straight to the royal family, little if any is spent on the welfare of their people.



With such outrageous behaviour, is it really any wonder that some of those poverty stricken peoples turn to a radical form of Islam for help and succour, only later to discover that they have jumped into the wrong fire. There is little choice for them; remain in Saudi in poverty, join an Islamist group, or try to reach the wealthy western Europe. Again, they arrive here and find that the grass isn’t any greener here either. Here bleeding hearts cry saying that we have to help them. Instead they should be crying to the national governments of the country they fled from to help them. I wonder why that doesn’t happen? Is it perhaps because the criers know that is easier to emotionally blackmail us because they won’t get anywhere with the governments who should be doing what needs to be done.  

Last photo for our Cambridge trip is today’s photo – except it isn’t Cambridge …

Jan’s nodding dog on the dash of the car. There’s a couple of dinos on there too.



Today’s funny …



How many British Rail staff does it take to change a light-bulb?
Two. One to change the bulb and one to apologize for the delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment