Wednesday 6 April 2016

Repeating price rises


6 April



My first posting after basic army training was the 54 Sqd RCT, in Minden, West Germany. Our troop clerk was an arrogant prat who it was fun to allow all his mates into the office and let them read the services records of everyone else in the troop. I was one of his victims and when I left there to return to Aldershot for my transport course to the ACC, I was not in the least bit sorry leave him behind – but not for long. Five months later I came across him in my next posting, just five miles up the road in Bramcote; he hadn’t changed.



However, he did pick up on one thing that Dorktowners tend to do, that is, when asked a question, say, ‘Do you fancy some crisps Kile?’ there’s a tendency to reply, ‘Crisps? … ‘ The not so friendly clerk mentioned it one time when we were sat drinking in the NAFFI one night. Now, I had more or less for gotten about that until I noticed Kile was doing exactly the same, and something I was happy to remain in the past, was now backup to date. Like someone once said, ‘There’s nothing new under the sun.’  



Speaking of which, companies charging the earth for things Is still happening. A few years ago I attended a family history show at Olympia in London, cost £20 at the door. OK, that was fine and I was happy to pay it. Olympia has another show on later this month, The London Book Fayre, which I fancy going to, but an entry fee of £50 at the door has put me off. Yes, buying a ticket on line would be £15 cheaper, but even so, it’s a lot more than I am willing to pay. Let’s face it, each exhibitor will have paid a fairly high price for their stand anyway, so although an entry fee is acceptable at a reasonable level, these prices are far too high. There is an area in there where you can book and meet and chat to an agent/editor. I don’t know if they pay as well, but that is probably the main reason I would go there anyway.



Finding an editor can be really hard, and it gets even worse harder when they increase their fees after they’ve read the free trial section. In my case I was quoted £200 for a full edit over a 28 day turn round. But when the trial notes came back there was an increase of £70 in what the price would be. I have no idea about how much other editors will charge, and I was certainly knocked back by that increase in so short a time. It seemed to smack of money grubbing to me.    



Yesterday I logged in to Streetlife for the first time since I bought this lappy. I do have a look daily to see what is going on locally. Yesterday I had a look as normal and found someone asks if there was anyone who would be interested in reading/editing her writing. A couple of folks said they would be, and that enticed me back in. I also said I could with some help. Within hours I had a reply and I have asked how I would get the file to her. Here’s hoping …



Another conversation started yesterday by someone who lives in Riversley Road. Some residents are placing wheelie bins and stuff outside their house to keep their parking space open. Of course we do not have a legal right to park outside you house, and this type of behaviour is not only illegal but anti-social too. Various replies were given as to what could or might be done about it. I suggested that the town council should be told seeing that it is also illegal to leave wheelie bins out after empting, but I also suggest that care should be taken seeing because some people do get very nasty very quickly these days.



So you can perhaps understand my surprise to see on Facebook this morning that Riversley Road is closed to every one because of a possible explosion. Now I’m hoping that it’s nothing as serious. I will find out later of course. But it does bring back other memories from years back. The area that Riversley Road is in is a high number Asian area. From the Rowan Ringway, along Coton Road in one direction and on two sides, and along Queens Road as far as Marlborough Road, it’s a very large area. What doesn’t surprise me though is that we do not have serious race-hate problem in town. The only time there was a problem was when EDL decided to hold a protest march in the town. It was stamped down on very quickly by the cops and it didn’t become too serious. But things have changed throughout the UK now and with a fairly high Muslim population, who can tell what goes on behind closed doors.



Of course that same question can asked of any house in any part of the country. It’s very sad that we have to ask such questions, and not just because of possible terror attacks, Brum has yet another child cruelty case going though courts right now. Throw in the domestic violence issue and it makes me wonder just what is going on at times. In reality, it’s just mankind’s natural behaviour isn’t it? Our desire to keep control of our little castle and group of serfs. How sad that is still going on.



Today’s photo …

The old and new in Coventry city centre.



Today’s funny …



My uncle said, 'I saw this film about these cows who took over a ship, and they cast the captain adrift in an open boat.'
I said, 'That's amazing. What was the film called?'
My uncle said, 'Moo-tiny on the Bounty.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment