Friday 8 April 2016

Bits'n'Bobs


8 April



There’s a new film release being trailered on Facebook right now, Roald Dahl’s BFG has been made with some real actors as well as computer graphics and camera trickery. It looks good, as it should be seeing Spielberg directed it. I shall be looking forward to seeing it. One of the comments on the post caused my red flag to start flying again though; some said, ‘I can’t wait …’ I hate the term. What are they going then, hibernate? Silly bloody people. My reply to the comment was suitably worded – without swearing too.



The local Christian Bookshop/café closed its doors on 2 April. I’m not all surprised really. During the run up to it opening I applied for the post as café manager, the bookshop manager post had already been filled. At the interview I did question if there was enough trade to warrant two managers but was assured there was. As it was I didn’t get the job, ah well. However, there never was two separate managers anyway, so I was proved right to ask the question. Indeed, the only paid post was that of the manager for the whole outlet; all other staff were volunteers. Jan and I used to use the place regularly and like all shops it had slack as well as its busy times. We learned when to visit and when not to. As it was, for the last few years we haven’t been in at all, so it looks like the whole thing has reached the end of its useful life.



So Dorktown has lost yet another retail outlet, albeit a niche one. How many more will close I wonder? Even charity shop have begun to close with the Headway shop (brain injury support), being the first one to go. British Heart Foundation has closed its general shop and moved into the large furniture shop they have in Strafford Street. And how small will the market get. As it is, it’s a small shadow of its former self. And yet the council says there still and urgent need for more retail outlets in the town. How they work that one out I don’t know.



Did you know that the laws regarding food outlets have been tightened up? I didn’t until today when I saw a piece rag Facebook page that a take-away place in Polesworth, a small village right up in the north of Warwickshire, has been fined £30,000 for a number of issues food inspectors found when they visited. The size of the fine is not a reflection of how serious the issues were, but also because of receiving a number of warnings in the past which were ignored, it also took into account the possible danger to the public when buying food from there. A later visit show that all the issue raised had been corrected, but how many locals will actually want to trust the place after such a poor report and large fine. I wouldn’t want to rick it. Would you?



Daft Dave is clinging on by the skin of his teeth by the looks of it. Not only are there questions about how much he gained from his dad’s overseas investments, he’s now playing the rules to get tax payers to over his view on the referendum in June. How many more such blows can he take before he’s knocked out? However, are we really sure we want him kicked out of #10? Can you imagine Baboon Boris in charge? Oh dear … … …
 

Mind you, Labour isn’t all that well off for big hitters is it, that’s why Jittery Jez got their top job when it comes down to it. LibDems are a spent force, and as for the other minor parties, well, they might hold some sway somewhere but why should we English play second fiddle in our own country? We shouldn’t. It’s past time when we English stood up and proclaimed our pride in being English.



Today’s photo …

If only … … …



Today’s funny …



My uncle said, 'The RSPCA are going to closedown my fish and chip shop.'
I said, 'Why's that?'
He said, 'They think I'm battering the fish.'

No comments:

Post a Comment