Thursday 3 December 2015

To bribe or not to bribe? A lot 'em do ...



3 December

In the past I have said on here that I used to be a very heavy drinker, indeed, 12 pints in one night was a quiet night for me. And yet during all those years of abuse I do not remember even one time I had become violent, or do anything silly or anti-social, like peeing in doorways and so on that we see on telly so often. How the hell I managed to pay for all the booze I just don’t know. But one thing I am very pleased about is that I have never, ever smoked tobacco, other than in second hand smoke while working behind bars in pubs, and in home where there were four heavy smokers, mam, dad, grandad and mam’s younger brother we called Nutty

This choice was a deliberate choice by both me and my brother Dave. For me I was determined not to end up with dirty yellowing staining on my fingers and teeth. Seeing a lot of smokers coughing and barking first thing in the morning, and not being able to function without having at least one smoke. It’s something I just couldn’t understand, and of course I conveniently forgot all about my need for booze and how it affected me. Dehydration was just affect that it caused. One sergeant I worked with told me it was because of the amount of booze I was drinking; I of course ignore him.

So what is this leading up to then? It’s simple really, Panorama on telly Monday evening, which covered bribery accusations against one of Britain’s biggest companies, British American Tobacco (BAT). I just sat and watched it and although I was a tad surprised by it, it was the scale of the bribes that surprised me. Africa is full of corruption, no matter what country we speak of, so we should not be surprised that BAT were involved there.

What it leaves me wondering about is just how much of this did our governments know about and were any of them on the pay-role too? It’s something we will never know I suppose, but at least there should be an investigation to find out just how far the corruption spreads. A lawyer here in the UK said that in the States there would be an investigation once it becomes aware of the issue.

BAT has responded to some questions asked of them and the usual tired old claims of disgruntled ex-employees trying to cause trouble for them. They also claim that they demand the highest levels of integrity from their employees and will accept nothing short of that. And yet the emails, accounts and documents showed by the programme seemed to show that knowledge of bribery was known about by the top management of BAT.

One executive has been sent 16 emails by the BBC and responded to none of them. He also ignore questions called to him as he arrived at the company HQ in London. There are questions that need answering, the sooner the better. Mind you, I should think that some people are running around like headless chicks right now as they try to cover their own backs. This is why I like this type of show on telly.

My biggest wish is that more notice and action is taken when practices like this are discovered, but is BAT alone in this. The sugar consumption on the UK is growing and there is evidence that added sugar is contributing to obesity in some of our kids. Whenever a new report comes out the sugar companies come out of the woodwork and start to bleat about how safe sugar is and the report writers are out to get.

Another big concern with health watch dogs is the alcohol industry. All drinkers will know of the effects that booze has on them. The effects of just one or two units can be felt and yet the Portman Group is soon out to cry penalty when a shows badly on their industry. One of their claims is that in moderation alcohol will not cause harm on one hand, and then on t’ther say that it is up to induvial drinkers to control what they drink. Of course, they forget all the special offers and ‘happy hour’ pubs hold. Christmas is on its way, just watch for all the more enticing offers in supermarkets and pubs. By heck, I’m glad I’m off the stuff now!      

So let’s have a photo … 

Yes, of course, a pint of real ale I had a few years ago.

Today’s funny …

10 Facts About You:
1. You're reading this now.
2. You're realizing that this is a stupid fact.
4. You didn't notice I skipped number 3.
5. You're checking now.
6. You're smiling.
7. You're still reading this even though it is stupid.
9. You didn't realize I skipped number 8.
10.You're checking again and smiling because you fell for it again.
11. You're enjoying this.
12. You didn't realize I said 10 facts not 12.  

Oh yes … 22 sleeps left now … … …             

No comments:

Post a Comment