Friday 11 December 2015

Mental illness and is Mr Farter a sufferer?



11 December  

And writing is what I did, just as I said I would. However, when I tried the digital pen, the base recorder didn’t pick up the signal from the pen, so it’s back to the start on that one. The Shaffer fountain pen was full of ink and that worked well, and I got around another 1,000 words down on paper.

A little later we sat and watched a terrific film, Still Alice, which the story of a high flying academic who has early onset dementia. The film is basically how the illness effects both the patient, Alice (played brilliantly by Julianne More), and her degradation from success to the depths of the illness, and with how the family and friends deal with it. Of course we know how much it can affect those who suffer from this condition having seen it with my mother and how badly it affected her. Our worry now is that I too may have it.

A couple of weeks ago I had an MRI scan, ordered by a neurologist and since then we have had a number of phone calls from the hospital about me attending there for a memory test. That first call I took was a big surprise simply because I knew nothing about a memory test and the more I’ve thought about it, the more I am now sure that the scan has shown something none of us were expecting. Right now though, I am not going to overly worry about it because I don’t feel all that concerned enough to worry. Jan is slightly more concerned because she says there’s been a couple of occasions when I’ve walked into a room and room and forgot what I went there for. A case of wait and see methinks.

So Mr Farter thinks he will make a good US president; oh dear, can you see him in that role? I shudder to think of it. Right now he seems to be doing much better role for Democrats and the Republicans. It also makes me wonder about who gets such a big job. We Brits of course don’t get the chance to vote in that election, and I’m not sure if that is a good or bad idea.

Whoever gets voted in will have an effect on the world, and not just the US. Someone like Farter is likely to inflame Muslims worldwide with fears of another, yet modern Crusade against them. How much harder will they fight to stop that? We here in the UL will also have a backlash against us too. ‘The times, they are a-changing’ as someone once sang long ago.

The floods in Cockermouth have receded for a second time this month, but there is worry that it might happen yet again over the weekend. The town is now cut in two again because a bridge into the town is now deemed dangerous; but isn’t that the same that happened there a few years ago? It seems that nothing, or at least not much, has been done about it since that date. Or is it a different bridge, or town?  Maybe I’ve got them muxed ip here. Of one thing I am happy about though, is that here in Dorktown we don’t have such extremes of weather, for which I am very relieved.

Today’s photo is of a wee stream just down the road from us here … 





I got these before and after shots a couple of years ago when we did have a little flooding in some areas of town. But that stream did not over flow, even if it did, little or any damage to the house nearby would have been very slight, even if it did reach them.

Today’s funny … or it would funny if it wasn’t so true …

Nobody starves in America. People in America die from over eating.             

No comments:

Post a Comment