Tuesday 15 December 2015

Life will find a way I'm sure ...



15 December

I am sat here green with envy! A Brit is being launched into space, oh what I would give to be up there with him. The very idea gives me goose bumps of excitement. Here we are in 2015 and science fiction is again coming to life for the whole world to see and enjoy. Cost? What cost isn’t worth the advancing of knowledge? Well worth it to my mind. And in any case, it’s too late to worry about cost now the Major Tim is now up there and flying around.

Years ago we took Tome to London and the Science Museum. At that time they had one of the Apollo capsules on display where visitors could actually touch it, and guess who did … Yeah, I did and the feeling of adventure and fun and shear hard work pulsed through me. I felt very overcome and nearly started crying at the thought of where that manmade object had been, somewhere I knew I would never ever get. But I can still dream … … …     

Last night we watched the second of two Star Wars programmes we recorded, I loved it but Jan wasn’t happy with it, but at least we have watched both of them now. Looking forward to the new film when it comes out. For now we still have the first two series and the Star Trek films as well. But did you know there is a new Independence Day film due out soon? I saw a trailer for last night on Facebook, another one to wait patiently for. A follow up is not really surprising for me seeing as the main mother ship of the aliens was destroyed, the small fighter craft were not all shot down, even in the small battle scene we were given, and what of the city-sized ships too?

Envious or not, life has to go on and I’m still sat here typing away. At some point we need to get out and do our normal shopping, all the Christmas is already done, so what I’m hoping for is to get as much done this week as possible so we don’t need to go out next week apart from some milk when we might need it. Unless of course we freeze some, but last time we did that we were not all that impressed with the result. I suppose for a few days we can make do though.

And so the Met is bovver again! Some officer has shot and killed a guy down there and has been suspended over it. Of course there has to be an inquiry after a violent death, I accept that should happen. What concerns me is that the officer has been suspended from duty. I agree that he should be taken of his normal duties, but is suspension really necessary? It reminds me of an army sergeant I knew who was devastated when he was suspended after shooting a fire-bomber in Belfast. Like he said at the time, ‘They’ve spent 12 years training me to shoot people and now I have done it I’m relieved of duty. I’ve wasted 12 years now.’ When we return to England he bought himself out, even though he has been returned to full duties. Such a waste.

Regular reader will know I don’t have a lot of time for any tory politian, and least of Daft Dave, and two more stories have come to light to make it even less likely for me to change my mind. A friend on Facebook has posted a story from the Guardian that claims that changes are being made to the democratic system that will make it virtually impossible to vote them out of power. What am I not surprised I wonder?

The second story is tied up with the recent agreement made in Paris about cutting fossil fuel usage and then the tory muppets pushing ahead with fracking. I’m sure Britain signed up to that agree in Paris, so why do this now? How can we then complain about other developing nations causing more pollution than agreed to? Such double standards are to my mind not acceptable, but what can we do about? Very little right now and even less if they get their own way.

And the reds across the room are not all that much different really are they? You see, it’s always the same, even in our own work lives. We moan about what our bosses do and claim we could do the job better. Yet when we get there we find out that the job is not as easy as we thought. I saw it many times while in army and I’m sure others have in whatever industry we worked in. So why should politics be any different?

And so today’s photo … 

Nothing out of this world today, just the clock tower in Leicester city centre.

Today’s funny …

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common: they should both be changed regularly… and for the same reason.                

No comments:

Post a Comment