Sunday 20 December 2015

Dinner times



20 December

Oh dear, I really must read through these blogs before I post them. I’ve just read yesterday’s and found a number of silly errors that I should have picked up and corrected. The old teacher’s words of, ‘Must try harder’, come to mind.

Last night I finished two different books, Alien Hunters on me kindle and a Stephen King short story collection, Just after Sunset. Both are worth a read if you get the chance. The choice of what comes next has already been made, 2001: A Space Odyssey on me Kindle and the new John Rebus, Even the Dogs in the Wild, by Ian Rankin, which I bought in hardback last week. They should keep me going a few days. In addition I have been given a two CDs of audio books, one Frost story and the other looks like a new series of Sherlock Holmes short stories. Not sure I shall get time to sit and listen to those though.

All my meal plans for the next few days have gone by the by now that Kile has gone home. Last time he was here I asked him if he liked roast chicken and his eyes lit up, so I promised him one to today. So now we have a large chicken sat in the freezer and I have to rethink things through again for just Jan and me. Thing is, neither of feel very hungry at any time these days. Last night I had two slices of dry toast and a cuppa-soup, today I don’t have a clue what to go for. At the moment I seem to be living on just fresh fruit, and that of course will eventually impact on my, actually on the health of both of us.

I wonder, may I ask what was the strangest thing you had for Christmas dinner? The reason I ask is that neither of us particularly like turkey, much too dry for us and Jan really does need moist but cooked meat so she can swallow it. This is after that last stroke she had, and why we normally cook our meats in gravy. But back to oddest Christmas dinner then … One year we had a chicken in the oven with the timer set to start it off while we were in church; all the veg was prepped and ready for turning on later.

Then we got home and I stood looking at the cooker and thought, I really don’t fancy all that. After mentioning it to Jan she looked a tad relieved too – so we ended up with sausage, egg and chips. And that is pretty much us fairly regularly, starting off doing one thing and ending up having something else altogether. I remember mam saying to me one day, ‘You’ll never hang yourself, you change your mind too often for that.’ But somehow I don’t think she had Christmas dinner in mind at that time.

This morning then, I asked Jan if she wanted the beef we bought a few weeks ago or chicken we bought last week for Kile for today. Putting her foot down with a firm hand she said she wanted the beef, so beef it is then … unless we change our minds again.

So now I need to find a photo … I know … 

One of Dorktown's poxy lights in Abbey Street.

Today’s funny …

 Bob was in trouble. He forgot his wedding anniversary. His wife was really angry. She told him "Tomorrow morning, I expect to find a gift in the driveway that goes from 0 to 200 in 6 seconds AND IT BETTER BE THERE!" The next morning he got up early and left for work. When his wife woke up, she looked out the window and sure enough there was a box gift-wrapped in the middle of the driveway. Confused, the wife put on her robe and ran out to the driveway, brought the box back in the house. She opened it and found a brand new bathroom scale. Bob has been missing since Friday.       

No comments:

Post a Comment