Wednesday 22 January 2014

Writing, publishing and supposed justice (again)



22 January

After my rant yesterday I feel just as angry today. Front page of the News has the story of one of the rioters complaining about being ordered to do community service instead of being sent down. And guess what? The stupid judge let him off with his contempt and jailed him! Why? Surely it is up to the judge to determine sentence, not the accused. No wonder the country is in such a mess.

Nine years ago the Warwickshire Justice Centre was open by the Princess Royal here in Dorktown. It was claimed to be unique in that for the first time all the various agencies involved in delivering justice were under the one roof instead of being all over the town. However, most of the magistrate court cases have now been moved to the justice centre in Coventry. That could well be a 20 mile trip for offenders, witnesses and victims to attend court. But it now begs the question of what that part of the building is now going to be used for? And don't forget folks, expenses can be claimed by witness and victims for attending court. The amount claimed will now increase considerably by the move to Coventry.

Yesterday afternoon after watching the news I set to and managed to get some of the changes done to my NANO story, 12 pages done, 86 to go. But where will I publish this one? I really don't fancy doing it through Create Space and Amazon this time. Jan said that she had looked at the American Amazon site and my books are priced $17 each on there. I wouldn't buy them at that price, remember, they are paperbacks not hardbacks. So now I shall look at one of the others, maybe LULU. We'll see soon I suppose. What I would really like to do is to have a go with Matador, but even at £350 it's a tad over my budget. One day I will go that route.

And so for a photo ... 

A general view of part of Draycote Water.

And the Sage has spoken ...

Two little old ladies were sitting on a park bench outside the local town hall where a flower show was in progress.
The thin one leaned over and said, "Life is so darned boring. We never have any fun anymore. For $5.00, I'd take my clothes off and streak through that stupid flower show!"
"You're on!" said the other old lady, holding up a $5.00 bill.
The first little old lady slowly fumbled her way out of her clothes and, completely naked, streaked (as fast as an old lady can) through the front door of the flower show.
Waiting outside, her friend soon heard a huge commotion inside the hall, followed by loud applause and shrill whistling.
The smiling and naked old lady came through the exit door surrounded by a cheering crowd.
"What happened?" asked her waiting friend.
"I won 1st prize as Best Dried Arrangement"

No comments:

Post a Comment