Tuesday 14 January 2014

Telly, fires and fire safety



14 January

We have just sat and watched the Fake Britain programme on furniture, and it made for uncomfortable viewing. We have already checked to make sure out furniture is correctly label but even so, it seems that even with the correct labels there's still a chance that there may be a problem with their fire safety standard. I can certainly understand that people who smoke are at great risk of accidentally starting a fire but even us non-smokers are still at risk because of overloaded power points or other electrical problems.

It's a part of life today isn't? We want the comfort and convenience that electricity brings but to do so we have accept that there may be times when we have the responsibility to handle the goods properly and safely. When it comes the furniture that was tested for the programme then yes, again we have responsibility to ensure that we do nothing that might cause a fire. Of course that does not mean that manufacturers should not be doing all they can to ensure that their products are safe.

It seems that these faulty products are made in China because that is where it is cheapest to make them. Our retails and their suppliers got there for cost reasons, but we have to ask, how much is a life worth? Is the reduction in costs really worth the price they pay when it comes to being sued by someone who has bought a faulty item? And then add in all the bad publicity that comes with such a court case - or such a programme as Fake Britain. Tesco Direct, Argos. Harveys, Amazon, SCS and one more I can't remember now, have all sold either mattresses or sofas that in some way fail the very minimum safety stands required by law in the UK.

So then ... if you are about to buy new furniture or beds, for the safety of you and your family, make sure it is all up to correct fire safety standards!

And now for a photo ... 

I called this one Hard-a-Port

Funny time ... another safety notice ...

Dear Dogs and Cats,
The dishes with the paw print are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Please note that placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not mean it becomes your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

The stairway is not a racetrack. Beating me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king-sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort. Dogs and cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm and disrespect.

For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the bathroom. If, by some miracle, I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob or stick your paw under the edge and try to pull the door open. I must exit through the same door I entered. I have been using the bathroom for years--canine or feline attendance is not mandatory.

The proper order is kiss me, then go smell the other dog or cat's rear end, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. I cannot stress this enough!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment