Thursday 9 January 2014

A question, a press changer and child disicpline



9 January

A letter sent to Writing Magazine asks, 'A is a writer, a writer?' Good question. Yet most jobs have a similar question. In 1980 I worked at Courtalds Acetate as a press changer. This involved removing large 'dressings', about 75cm by 75cm from in between a number of large metal plates which weighed in at around 100kilos each. We working in a pair, no one man could do the job on his own - or even thought of it. Once removed we had replace the dressings with a new set. It was a dirty smelly job that none us really liked but it was the basic job in the dope department. The guy I normally team up with was called Alan Radcliffe and between us we very good at the job. Yet we were never accepted as press changers simply because we never managed to get our fingers trapped between two plates. Daft eh?

I once heard of a photographer who talking to a writer. The writers says, 'You must have a very good camera to produce photos like these.' His rely was, 'And you must have a very good type writer to produce the books you publish'. Yes, I suppose you have heard it before. But it did raise a memory from the 1980s when I used to use an Instamatic camera, the only camera we could afford at that time. We then cobbled together the cash for a second hand Olympus OM10 and we showed my mother a few photos of our son Tom. She asked what camera I had used to get them. She saw the better quality straight away. Anyway ...

Getting back to the writing angle here ... As an OU student I used to write my assignments, sometimes up to 4000 words too. So did that make me a writer? Or a student who wrote, or a writer who studied? And anyway, I'm 'writing' this blog in a Word doc on a PC. So does that make me a computer operator, a typist  or a writer? I have been published, a church history of the Baptist church I was a member of as well as a number of letters that have appeared in the local News. But does it really matter? Would being called a writer actually make your work better or lift it out of obscurity into the light of the writing world?

I'm sure it wouldn't. It's just some snobs way of putting down another person who is working just as hard as they but haven't had to luck to be published yet. Am I writer then?  Yes, I am ... and sod the snobs!!!

As an aside, in photo competition entrants are not called photographers, no, they are authors because the word photography means 'writing with light'. See, it's all crap.

So now I have find a photo ... errr, no I don't, today I am combining a photo and a funny thanks to the Sage ...

Most people today think it improper to discipline children, so I have tried other methods to control my kids when they have had one of 'those moments.'
Since I'm a pilot, one method that I have found very effective is for me to just take the child for a short flight during which I say nothing and give the child the opportunity to reflect
on his or her behaviour. 
I don't know whether it's the steady vibration from the engines, or just the time away from any distractions such as TV, video games, computer, iPod, etc. 
Either way, my kids usually calm down and stop misbehaving  after our flight together.  I believe that eye to eye contact during these sessions is an important element in achieving
the desired results. 
I've included a photo below of one of my sessions with my son, in case you would like to use the technique


No comments:

Post a Comment