Tuesday 7 January 2014



7 January

Social Services haven't changed all that much it seems. I've just called them and been passed from person to person until I finally got through to people who need to deal with having mother re-assessed for her care fees. They person I'm speaking to keeps saying, 'Won't keep a moment', before saying anything again. At least now they have taken our phone number and will get back in touch when they can.

Yesterday was a shopping day and by the time I got home I was totally knackered and could do very little. Jan has a really bad head cold and is feeling very miserable with it, all thanks to Kile - the little monster -))) We are both eating far too many nicies and its not doing us any good at all, so yesterday I didn't buy any at all. A good job I didn't seeing as we have so many in the fridge all ready! We do it every time Kile is due. We got out and buy loads of them for him and end up having to finish the m off ourselves. That will now stop and if there's any left, they will go home with him.

Road works are due to hit Dorktown again. Leicester Road is going to be closed on two Sundays for major resurfacing work. Leicester Road is only the major road in and out of town from our side of the railway lines. At least they have chosen to do the work on Sundays when the traffic is perhaps slightly less than normal. But here's a thing; the A47 runs from Great Yarmouth but now comes to an end at the A5 west of Dorktown. However, it used to pass through the town and Leicester Road was part of it before heading off right into Birmingham. Even now the actual road still follows that route but from the A5 its now called the B4115. Perhaps you can see just how important that road is to the town.

Me old mate Bill Howe has finished with proofread for me and sent it back. Later today I shall be down loading it and will start to make the corrections that are needed. I'd be lost without Bill's efforts so a big thank you is due to him. So, thanks Bill, I owe you a lot. One thing that has mentioned is that I could do with a good editor, he's right, I do. But who do you choose and how much is it likely to cost? That is something else I need to think about.

I really do need to get out and do some new photos. Posting earlier ones is OK I suppose but new one's would be better. For today though ... 

The Boer War statue in Riversley Park.       

Not so much a funny as a warning to be careful when talking to the media ...

A Hells Angel is riding by Chester Zoo when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage. Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the collar of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her, under the eyes of her screaming parents. The biker jumps off his Harley, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and the biker brings her to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly. A reporter has watched the whole event. The reporter addressing the Harley rider says, 'Sir, this was the most gallant and brave thing I've seen a man do in my whole life.’ The Harley rider replies, 'Why, it was nothing, really, the lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger and acted as I felt right.’ The reporter says, 'Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist, you know, and tomorrow's paper will have this story on the front page... So, what do you do for a living and what political affiliation do you have?” The biker replies, “I'm a Royal Marine and Conservative.” The journalist leaves. The following morning the biker buys The Mirror to see if it indeed brings news of his actions, and reads, on the front page: “ROYAL MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH” and THAT pretty much sums up the media's approach to the news these days...

No comments:

Post a Comment