Friday 10 January 2014

Weather forecast, missing items and Windows 7 updates



10 January

Why I rely on the weather forecast I just don't know, but there yer go, I do. But it's for tomorrow I looking at now. At long last Jan is feeling much better, after she began with a bad head cold last weekend. She's feeling well enough now to be able to say it's time for a birding trip. Great, we've both been looking forward to it since the 1st but weather and health has kept knocking us back. So far we only got ten birds on our list, all but one of them we watched out the back here. Tomorrow we are hoping to add a good number when we get to Draycote Water.

With that decision made I started to get our bits n bobs ready. Cameras OK, bins OK, field guides OK, listing book ... where's the listing book? I know it's here but where is it? The thing is, our home is like a big black pit at times. Things just disappear on us. Like the address book that has vanished not so long ago. This has always happened in our home for as long as I can remember. One time in Bedworth I bought a brand new pair of black trousers and wore them when we went to Brum one day. We got home and I got changed and remember leaving them on the bed. That was the last time saw them. They have never turned up, not even when we moved away did we find them, fallen behind a wardrobe or something, nope, just vanished. Our current listing is the latest incident. Happily I have found it under the pile of books and odds an sods on the table beside me. Yes, I know ... we would live on without it but it can be a pain at times.

We sat and watched Jodie Foster in her film Contact last night. I got caught up in it the very first time I watched it. Seeing it on the big screen in a cinema would have been great, still would do for me. Later I was wondering which film was my all time favourite film. Contenders are Contact, 2001, Close Encounters and on a different tracks, Medicine Man and finally It's A Wonderful Life. Please note, there's no violence in any of them!

Yesterday I began sorting out my photos from Wednesday. After around 3 hours I got fed up with it so closed the lid on the lappy with quite a few left to do. This morning I lifted the lid and once W7 had started to closed down to begin installing all the Windows Updates. In the process it also closed down the Photoshop Elements software too. That meant that all the photos I had open ready to work were also closed. Now I have to look at my edited shots (saved safely) to find out just how far I had got before I can the rest done. and tomorrow of course there will be lots more ... ah well ... ... ...

 Here's the first 2014 photo then ... 

A pile of Granny Smith apples in Caves fruit and veg shop, Queens Road Dorktown.

And funny time, from the Sage ...



A Bible study group was discussing the unforeseen possibility of their sudden death. The leader of the discussion said, " We will all die some day, and none of us really know when, but if we did we would all do a better job of preparing ourselves for that inevitable event."
"Everybody nodded their heads in agreement with this comment."
Then the leader said to the group, "What would you do if you knew you only had 4 weeks of life remaining before your death, and then the Great Judgment Day?"
A gentleman said, " I would go out into my community and minister the Gospel to those that have not yet accepted the Lord into their lives."
"Very good!" ,said the group leader, and all the group members agreed, that would be a very good thing to do.
One lady spoke up and said enthusiastically, "I would dedicate all of my remaining time to serving God, my family, my church, and my fellow man with a greater conviction."
"That"s wonderful!" the group leader commented, and all the group members agreed, that would be a very good thing to do.
But one gentleman in the back finally spoke up loudly and said, "I would go to my mother-in-laws house for the 4 weeks."
Everyone was puzzled by this answer, and the group leader ask, "Why your mother-in-law's home?"
"Because that will make it the longest 4 weeks of my life!"
    

No comments:

Post a Comment