Friday 29 June 2012

Water, papers and history

29 June 2012

Our second full day begins.  Yesterday we just about knackered ourselves with unpacking too many boxes in one go.  Yes, I know we have to get it done and yes, I know the sooner it's done the better.  But in reality we are not in that much of a rush.  One thing we hadn't thought of is that there is no recycling provision here our block.  We have a large communal bin into which we throw everything.  I'm sure there must be a way for the Council to arrange for us to recycle just as we did in Bracebridge Street.  

Another good night's sleep for both of us.  It's so quiet here.  In Bracebridge Street we regularly got disturbed by people walking up the street turned midnight and much the worse for booze.  For a long time we all complained that the street should be a one way street for traffic.  Well, they did what we asked at long last with our street taking traffic off the main Queens Road for access to both street either side of us.  The increase in traffic was high and they didn't seem to care about they drove up there.  Swings and round abouts I suppose.

The day we moved I woke up and sat on the end of the bed and didn't move for some time.  The removers were soon and it suddenly struck me that I was giving up what was in actual fact my family home.  My parents bought that house in 1969 and move in on January 2 1970.  That was 42 years ago.  For a short time as I sat there on the bed I was feeling that I was letting mam and dad down by selling up.  But reality soon struck and I remembered that we were moving because we were really finding the stairs a had struggle.  Added to which Jan's health seems to be heading south yet again.  It's just strange how such thoughts could strike so quickly.  As it is we're in here and happy, the house sale to on-going at a goodly pace.  Now I'm happy with selling.     

I'm now feeling totally out of touch with what is happening here in Dorktown just now.  So when we go out soon we will be arranging for the Dorktown News to be delivered here.  Not sure I shall go for the Sunday Express though.  I only order it because Stewart Winter writes a birding column in there.  What I have found though is that most of what he writes I can get off Bird Forum or one of the other sites I read.  I do like the Telegraph (the national one not the local one), but it's still a broadsheet.  If it went tabloid as The Times and the Independent has done, I would be having that every day too.

Yesterday's photo of Jan went down well so today's photo is another of her ...

taken beside the Med while we were on a day coach trip on holiday in Mallorca.

And today's funny is a real cracker ...

A lady goes to the bar on a cruise ship and orders a Scotch with two drops of water. As the bartender gives her the drink she says, "I'm on this cruise to celebrate my 80th birthday and it's today."
The bartender says "Well, since it's your birthday, I'll buy you a drink. In fact, this one is on me."
As the woman finishes her drink, the woman to her right says, "I would like to buy you a drink, too." The old woman says, "Thank you. Bartender, I want a Scotch with two drops of water."
"Coming up," says the bartender.
As she finishes that drink, the man to her left says, "I would like to buy you one, too." The old woman says, "Thank you. Bartender, I want another Scotch with two drops of water."
"Coming right up," the bartender says.
As he gives her the drink, he says, "Ma'am, I'm dying of curiosity. Why the Scotch with only two drops of water?"
The old woman replies, "Sonny, when you're my age, you've learned how to hold your liquor. Holding your water, however, is a whole other issue!    

No comments:

Post a Comment