Friday 22 June 2012

OFSTEAD, reading, mopeds

22 June 2012

For once the BEEB has got the weather right and we are being drowned in rain yet again.  The weather talkers keep on about how long it's been since we last had so much rain in May/June.  Well, I was doing door-to-door sales in 1982 during the same period and we got very few sales simply because of the amount of rain we had.  It was either too wet to go out or too wet for house holders to invite you in out of the rain.  Top and bottom of it?  Weather is a dynamic forces; it comes and goes, there is no way of really telling with any accuracy  what will happen and when.

Jan has a Kindle - I think I've mentioned that before.  Well, when she reads a book on it she always leaves a review.  The result of this is that she has become very good friends with a number of writers.  One of those writer-friends, Ashley Fontainne has sent her a free signed copy of one her books, Zero Balance.  I finished my current Peter James last night so this morning I started Zero Balance this morning.  Now we come to what I really wanted to say ... Is  there such a thing as an easy or natural reader?  Here's what I mean.  Every time I start to read a book I find myself picturing the story as I read it.  It doesn't matter what genre the book is, I find myself there among the characters and the action.  I'm not sure I'm explaining this very well but I'm wondering if some readers are more susceptible to being carried away by a story?  Whatever, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of Ashley's book.

Various areas of Dorktown have been targeted by a pair of moped riders who have been riding round and mugging folks as they mend their own business.  One person has been arrested and appeals have been made for information on the second one as well as on all the attacks.  Can't see many folks answering the appeal.  It seems that being a 'grass' is worse than being a criminal!  Strange way for things to turn out enit?  But I believe that in France it is a criminal offence not to inform the cops if you do have information about a crime.  That seems fair enough I suppose, but how do the cops know has what information?  I don't see it being enforceable to be honest.

Later I have to go and see mother's solicitor with the Power of Attorney documents so I can get the deeds to the house to send them off ready for the sale of the house to go through.  Now here's a thing, I don't trust Royal Fail!  Yet these documents need sending to Manchester.  I phoned DHL and they want £50 to send them but they are covered only up to £1000.  A duplicate copy of the deeds would cost several £s to obtain.  It would be cheaper to take them up there myself but we are far too busy to do that just now.  At least most of the packing is now done, just a few odds and ends need sorting out now, drawers full of all sorts of stuff and so on.  Maybe after next Wednesday we could do it.  We'll see later.

So I suppose you would like a photo now eh?  How about this one then ... 

it's the new library building in Brum.  Personally I think it looks great, but some of the locals hate it.  But how many of them actually use the current library of even look at the building as they walk about doing their shopping or boozing, and yes, there is a lot of pubs about that area.  I like this one ... 

a jazz club that has live bands most nights of the week.

And for a funny ...

 The Creation Story
 
In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth and populated the Earth with broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, green and yellow and red vegetables of all kinds, so Man and Woman would live long and healthy lives.
Then using God's great gifts, Satan created Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream and Crispy Cream Donuts.  And Satan said, "You want chocolate with that?"
And Man said, "Yes!" and Woman said, "and as long as you're at it, add some sprinkles."
And they gained 10 pounds. And Satan smiled.
And God created the healthful yogurt that Woman might keep the figure that Man found so fair.
And Satan brought forth white flour from the wheat, and sugar from the cane and combined them.  And Woman went from size 10 to size 16.
So God said, "Try my fresh green salad."
And Satan presented Thousand-Island Dressing, buttery croutons and garlic toast on the side.
And Man and Woman unfastened their belts following the repast.
God then said, "I have sent you heart healthy vegetables and olive oil in which to cook them."
And Satan brought forth deep fried fish and chicken-fried steak so big it needed its own platter.  And Man gained more weight and his cholesterol went through the roof.
God then created a light, fluffy white cake, named it "Angel Food Cake," and said, "It is good."
Satan then created chocolate cake and named it "Devil's Food."
God then brought forth running shoes so that His children might lose those extra pounds.
And Satan gave cable TV with a remote control so Man would not have to toil changing the channels.   And Man and Woman laughed and cried before the flickering blue light and gained pounds.
Then God brought forth the potato, naturally low in fat and brimming with nutrition.
And Satan peeled off the healthful skin and sliced the starchy centre into chips and deep-fried them.  And Man gained pounds.
God then gave lean beef so that Man might consume fewer calories and still satisfy his appetite.
And Satan created McDonald's and its 99 pence double cheeseburger.  Then said, "You want fries with that?"  And Man replied, "Yes! And super size them!"
And Satan said, "It is good."
And Man went into cardiac arrest.
God sighed and created quadruple bypass surgery.
Then Satan created OFSTED
Thought I would make it teacher friendly                

No comments:

Post a Comment