Thursday 31 May 2012

100, scrape metal and shop prices

31 May 2012

I've mentioned on here before about the number of scrapies coming around our street.  Well, today there was one in street at 8.20 this morning.  A second one came around about an hour later.  Jan kept a list of reg numbers of them after we complained to council about them; we've four or five in one day before now.  I handed in that list on Tuesday.  Thing is, they don't most of them don't have the required permits to operate as waste disposal operators. 

This morning I watched that Fake Britain show on BBC 1.  I'm sure we all know about the fake handbags and watches and booze and so on that is rife in the UK right now, but did you know that the fakers are now turning their attention to faking air fresheners and lecky tooth brush heads.  Most of these dodgy being sold at car boot sales and markets.  I can understand why some folks will buy the cheaper stuff like this.  It's like on Monday I went into town and Jan asked me to get her some of her deodorant while I was out.  First stop for the was Superdrug where I found it at £3.85.  A couple of hundred yards away is Wilkinsons where I found it at £2.65.  That extra £1.20 is a huge mark up on the item.  Perhaps if the high street retailers were to price their goods at a reasonable price, less people would turn to the fake goods found on market.

For some time now I have been saying that at some point we will be moving away from Dorktown.  Well, our move might be a lot quicker that than we had thought it would be.  This hospital job for Jan has made me re-think things.   
Neither of us is in tip top heath and that is why we were looking at a retirement complex or a ground floor flat.  We are still looking for that but now we will be staying around here in Dorktown.  Getting a council property is now a different ball game all-round.  Firstly you fill out a form - where would they council be without half a forest  behind them? - you are then visited by someone from the housing department and after that you have to register on the their website. Then you look at what properties are available and then register your interest in those you are interested in.  I've registered interest in 5 so far.  We won't know if we will get one of them for sometime time though.  Each ad on the website gives a number of those who have clicked as interested.  I was number nine on a couple of them but number one on two and number 3 on another.  
We wait and see.  That is why I am sorting out stuff for the charity shop.  Oh yes, here's another I saw on telly last night ...

There's a growing pile of plastic bags beside our front door.  There's nothing in them because being and bit of cynic I've never been sure that the charities concerned actually get all that much from the door to door collections.  They don't, they get very little and in fact in some case they nothing at all.  At 4pm today I shall be dropping off a couple of large plastic boxes full of stuff we don't use and have never used; it's all stuff that mother has kept from her mother who died in 1967.  Thing is, gran had some silly idea that it was bad luck to have a full tea set so she always broke one cup.  Top and bottom of it is that even two really expensive sets are now worthless - all because of a silly superstition!         

Jan has sent me a text this morning.  At around 1am a doctor went to see her and changed the line she has running into her for her morphine drip.  Hour and half later he was dead.  On top of that one of the patients in ITU also died.  She's not had a very good night and is now very tired.  I shall go and see her around 2pm today. 

For today's photo ... 

the clock tower in Market Place.  There used to be a pub in the building underneath that with the surprising name of ... The Clock.  Very original eh ;-)))   

And today's funny ...

A man went to the Doctors. "Doctor" he said, " I want to live until I am 100"
The Doctor asked him...
"Do you smoke?"
"Nope!"
"Do you drink?"
"Nope!"
"Do you Gamble?"
"Nope!"
"Do you have sex with lots of young women?"
"Nope!"
" Then why in the hell do you want to live until you are 100 ??? "

No comments:

Post a Comment