Thursday 10 May 2012

Dreams, hoarders and slaps

10 May 2012

Oh what a night!  No, not last September, last night!  One of the strangest dreams yet.  I was back in the Army and we had been sent off to Far Eastern country for an exercise.  It did used to happen actually; I went to Kenya once for a couple of months – very good it was too.  Anyway, back to last night … there I was in me bed but awake.  I was ready to get up for a full day but as I did I was attacked by a snake which bit me on the arm.  Now, we had been warned about all the snakes there but we’re told that in general they left people alone – so why did one actually attack me then?  Off I went to the MO but I was attacked again by a different kind of snake.  Then that one was attacked by another of its kind, and so on until I had about 12 of damned things hanging off my arm.  When I got to the MO’s office there was huge queue of others, all with the same type of snake hanging off their right arms having once been bitten by a different snake.  Jan disturbed then I and I woke up.  I do get some strange dreams at times, I really do.

It’s looking cold out there today but I really do need to go out today.  I haven’t been out since Saturday and I’m starting to get cabin fervour.  I’ll get an AP and a paper as well as some fruit while I’m out.  Now there’s a point … is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?  The reason I ask is that in 1893 the US Supreme Court declared it to be a vegetable not a fruit.  Yes I know, all Yanks are daft but in this case it was being daft that caused this one it was a case taxes.  A tax was being paid on vegetables but not on fruit.  Someone applied to get a ruling over the issue.  By declaring them and veg, then the tax was payable on tomatoes.  But in actual fact, they are a fruit, not a veg.

We sat and watched that programme on hoarding on catch-up TV yesterday.  Looking at today’s listings there’s another one on tonight.  I can’t understand how these people get to the stage where they are living like that.  It’s so sad isn’t it?  The first one I remember seeing was the old guy in London, a Mr Trevis who had filled his house full of stuff.  Do you remember him?  When we first came back here after my brother died we found that this place was getting to be as bad, or at least it would have done eventually.  Dave had filled the spare room and his room and had started on mother’s front room.  We began clearing the place and removed over 100 black plastic bags full of rubbish from his room alone.  We found 6 computer printers and two photocopiers.  We lost count of all the DVD and CDs, some still in their plastic wrappers, never been watched or listened to.  Bags and bags of new clothes he had never worn still in their wrappers; books still in the WH Smith bags, never looked at again.  17 reams of printer paper, pack after pack of ball point pens, pencils; piles of writing and note books; so many staplers and pencil sharpeners we lost count of them including an electric ones.  More tools than a tool shop – I mean, why did he need 8 screwdriver sets?  A penal beaters kit!  Why?  His car was a motorabilty lease hire car for pete’s sake!  And why did he need an ice crusher?  The difference between Dave and the folks on telly was he had stuff that was actually of use to someone.  We haven’t had to buy any stationary for over three years.           

Have you ever looked at town clocks as you walk about?  No?  There’s some nice ones about, like this one … 

I found in Ipswich.

A short funny today …

Little Johnny and his dad were on an overcrowded elevator. Suddenly a lady in the front turned around, slapped Little Johnny's dad, and then left in a huff.
"That sure is a nasty lady," Little Johnny's dad said.
Little Johnny remarked, "I didn't like her either, Daddy. She stepped on my toe, so I pinched her butt."

No comments:

Post a Comment