Saturday 19 May 2012

Rain. writing, piggies

19 May 2012

It’s dark, wet and miserable here in Dorktown today.  That means my plans to get out down the market to get some candid photos is over before they began.  Ah well … at least my copy latest copy of Bird Watching arrived in this morning’s post so I will have something to read.  There’s also a card from the postie to say that there is a package for us but there’s a £2 fee to pay on collection.  Jan is fuming over it because she thinks it is from one her eBay buys and the postage was paid on that.  We shall soon find out!   
While I was out yesterday I returned the book I’d borrowed from the library.  It was the first book in I don’t know how long that I have borrowed and read all the way through.  Normally I borrow them for reference and then take them back a few days later.  Like most counties in the UK, Warwickshire is cutting back its library service.  Here in Dorktown there are nowhere near as many books available as there used to be with the result that there is now a lot more room to get about in there.  They have also done away with the need to a librarian to check-out each book; it’s all done by computer now.  It occurred to me last night that with this cost cutting system there is no longer a public record of how often a book has been loaned.  Not essential of course but it did give an indication of how popular or not a book was. 
 
Late last night I managed to do around 400 words on Photo Finish – the first in nearly three weeks.  I was rather pleased about that.  No I’m not so sure and think I may have to re-think it.  Truth be told, I’m not all that convinced it’s a viable story line.  I do have a few other story lines I could go at for now including Happyman, which hasn’t been looked at in months.  But there again, I have 18 Months Later that needs correcting now it is back from the proof reader, me old mate Bill Howe.  Oh the strain, the strain … … …

In 1536 poor old Anne Boleyn got the chop on the trumped up charge of adultery.  In reality of course it was a mixture of Henry VIII wanting a son not a daughter and his dirty old eyes having seen another young maiden he fancied.  Anne at least gave him Elizabeth I, who turned out to be a good Queen of England.  Around 52 years later the Spanish Armada set sail from Lisbon – and we all know what happened to that don’t we!  So not only was Lizzi I a good queen, so was also a lucky one!

For today’s photo then … 

HMS Invincible at Portsmouth.

And today’s funny …

Three Little Pigs went out to dinner one night. The waiter comes and takes their drink order. "I would like a Sprite," said the first little piggy.
"I would like a Coke," said the second little piggy.
"I want water, lots and lots of water," said the third little piggy.
The drinks are brought out and the waiter takes their orders for dinner.
"I want a nice big steak," said the first piggy.
"I would like the salad plate," said the second piggy.
"I want water, lots and lots of water," said the third little piggy.
The meals were brought out and a while later the waiter approached the table and asked if the piggies would like any dessert.
"I want a banana split," said the first piggy.
"I want a root beer float," said the second piggy.
"I want water, lots and lots of water," exclaimed the third little piggy.
"Pardon me for asking," said the waiter to the third little piggy, "but why have you only ordered water all evening?”
The third piggy says -
"Well, somebody has to go 'Wee, wee, wee, all the way home!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment