Monday 21 May 2012

Foot butchers, sunny weather and ducks

21 May 2012

Yesterday ended up being a so-so day.  Kile was still here so I went upstairs to the study to get on with correcting 18 Months Later – and stayed there most of the day.  The result was that I forgot all about doing this blog – ah well.

At 2.30 this afternoon the foot-butcher is due to do my feet.  That means that we won’t get out shopping until late on till later today.  We will need to go seeing as Jan has committed us to making a trifle for a dinner she is going to on Wednesday evening.  But much more important though, is that I am out of Morning Coffee biscuits and nearly out of my tea bags!

Today’s News has the letters page in it.  All but one of them is critical of the Tories.  That one is from a Tory councillor.   He must feel pretty lonely there at moment.  The item that has sparked so many anti-Tory letters is the sad plight of Dorktown town centre.  The range of reasons is put down from Mad Maggie right up to today’s Daft Dave and Gormless George and there current policies that mean more folk have less cash to spend.  Maybe, hopefully, their time in power will eventually lead to there being a growing call for a referendum on our membership of the EU with getting out of it altogether.  What a saving for the tax payer that will be!

The weather is supposed to be picking up after today.  That sounds good … more photo time for me ;-)))  Our copy of Digital Camera arrived this morning and I was pleased to read the editorial in it which finally said something about an issue that has been bugging me for years, right back to when I was using film.  I go out and set the camera for a particular set of circumstances and then I move on to do something else … and forget to the change the settings. As Geoff Harris says, “…there’s a lot to remember.”  So I am not the only amateur who has this problem then – I don’t feel quite so alone now.

I love sausages especially Cumberland sausage.  So I called into Corley Services one time cos I was busting for a wee and saw this …

parked near to the entrance.  That’s a fancy truck for hauling sausage meat on the hoof.

And today's funny is great ...

A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary surgeon. As she lay her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird's chest.
After a moment or two, the vet shook his head sadly and said, I'm so sorry, your pet has passed away."
The distressed owner wailed, "Are you sure? "Yes, I'm sure. The
duck is dead," he replied.
"How can you be so sure", she protested. "I mean, you haven't
done any testing on him or anything. He might just be in a coma or something."
The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the room.
He returned a few moments later with a black Labrador Retriever. As the duck's owner looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom.
The dog then looked at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head.
The vet patted the dog and took it out and returned a few moments later with a beautiful cat.
The cat jumped up on the table and also sniffed the bird from its peak to its tail and back again. The cat sat back on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly, jumped down and strolled out of the room.
The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry, but as I said, this is most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck."
Then the vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and Produced a bill, which he handed to the woman.
The duck's owner, still in shock, took the bill. "£150!" she
cried. "£150 just to tell me my duck is dead?!!"
The vet shrugged. "I'm sorry. If you'd taken my word for it, the  bill would have been £20. But what with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan, it all adds up."

No comments:

Post a Comment