Monday 18 May 2015

The lonelyness of writing?



18 May  

Last night I thought about taking a series of photos before the guys started with the work outside our place. Oh dear, good idea, but too late cos when we got up this morning the scaffolding had been started. Not only, that it’s rained really hard out there right now. I should have thought about it yesterday when I could have got the shot I wanted yesterday afternoon … ah well … … … But I’ve just thought, maybe I can; the rain is due to stop later this morning. Seeing as they have started next door with Roy’s place, I should be able to get the side and corner of our place before they get to do to doing it.   

It is said that writing is a lonely profession. Is it? I’m not so sure you know. I tend to write now, sat where I am right now in our living room. Jan is moving about and asking, ‘How do you spell …’ and so on. We bet comments back and forth between each other and yet I don’t lose my place or the thought I had. I’ve even been able to write while Kile is here with us playing on the Wii. In the past I’ve sat in a pub and got on with writing too. So for me writing is not necessarily lonely. However, if the person who thought up that comment meaning that the writer is only the only person living in the world at that time, then yes I can accept that.

In the past I have said that I like quite to read and write, and I do; but if needs be I can do both here in home and in the pub where it is a lot more busy. It seems I feel comfortable in sitting in a pub with pad and pencil while the day to day life of the pub flows around me. When I’m doing serious reading though, i.e., a text book, I do tend like quiet so I can concentrate on what I am reading. I can read a novel or a photo-mag pretty much anywhere really. Oh yes, lying soaking in nice hot bath with a decent novel is just the height of luxury for me. Sadly we don’t have one now.

OK, let’s have a quick look at the telly eh. It has struck me just how lucky we have these days. We our TIVO box from Virgin we can watch BBC1 and record BBC2, ITV and Channel 4 at the same time. But hand on a mow … Because I have a weak bladder these days, I need to go for wee fairly often. The TIVO box means we can pause what we are watching so I don’t miss anything. How many times have you missed the winning goal because you have to go for wee? I know in past I have! So yes, we are lucky as we are today.

Last evening as we watched CountryFile, I set our record for three other shows, Demolition: The Wrecking Crew, The Detectives, Jonathon Strange & Mr Norell, all three are series and TIVO allows to set a link for the future shows too. The biggest problem afterwards is getting to watch everything afterwards. 

And so for today’s photo … 

I call this one Hanging Colours. It’s a subject I shoot every time I see such displays.

Today’s funny …

 An Irish woman walks into an undertakers to see her husband laid out. She says: "I wish he wasn't in his black suit. He looks so much better in blue. Couldn't you get him changed?" The undertaker responds: "OK, give me 15 minutes." She comes back to find two coffins, one with a man in a blue suit, one with a man in black. "Goodness me," she says, "that was quick". The undertaker responds: "It was easy. I just swapped their heads around".       
17 May

No comments:

Post a Comment