Wednesday 20 May 2015

Aging



20 May  

It’s not the nicest of days out there is it? In fact I’ve just put my cardie on and turned up the heating, I’m that cold. Another sign of getting old eh. Even though the cabin fever is building up again, I’m not going out today. Depending on weather I might pop out for an hour or two tomorrow. Peter James new Roy Grace novel, You are Dead, is issued tomorrow so I would like to get to Waterstones and buy it, along with #2 of Game of Thrones. Hopefully get a few more photos too before I clear the card ready for Saturday and Rainham Marsh.

There was an item on the news today that caught my attention, but for the wrong reason. End of life care is in the sights again, so what’s new, it has been for ever, or so it seem. But what got to me was when one woman said that those experiencing the problems first hand were not getting any choice in where they die. Again, what’s new about that? My mother wouldn’t have wanted to die where she died. And yet her dementia was such that she had no idea of where she was, why she was there and at one point I’m sure she had no idea who she was too. The comment that go to me was along the lines of many people not being able to choose where they will die. I mean, come on! How many drivers want to die in a road smash on the M6 of even on a country lane? How many of the 50+ people who died on the Tube and a bus in London a few years ago, actually wanted to die there and in that way? The only ones who did were the four bombers, and they were the exception not the rule.

Also, on the local news this time, Walsall is aiming to be the town with best care for dementia care in the UK. Part of the report filmed an elderly couple out shopping in Asda. The man is the suffer within that couple, but he certainly seem quite capable to me. However, I’m sure he will remain like that for long. At least he is still active and getting out and about, and that seems to me to be one of the better ways to hold it off. My mother wouldn’t go out once she turned 65, claiming that being an old woman stopped her from going out.

Brother Dave was another one who wouldn’t do anything to help himself. He was quite able to get up and go out for a walk around. The local post office was around 250 yards from their front door; Dave drove round there. I’m surprised he lasted as long as he did now that I think about some more. Mam and Dave gave up, not because they couldn’t do anything but because they would actually try to do anything. Sad eh … … …

I’m prattling on again, so here’s today photo … 

Looks like a phone problem.

Today’s funny …

 The Pope comes in one day and says to his cardinals: "It seems the Jews have challenged us to golf." The cardinals protest that they're no good at golf, and say: "Why don't we ask Jack Nicklaus to become an honorary cardinal, then he can play for the Vatican?" So Jack Nicklaus goes out and plays the game, and comes back with his head in his hands. "What's wrong?" the Pope asked. "Well, it was OK at the start," said Nicklaus. "But did you ever hear of Rabbi Tiger Woods?"

No comments:

Post a Comment