Thursday 14 May 2015

Hsrd copy, eBooks or audion - What's your choice.



14 May  

The council are a bloomin pain in the back side! The kitchen designer is here now and he’s done our design but it’s a really small kitchen anyway. We have to live and work around it but the council demands on design mean that our needs are not relevant to how the design is laid out. No, they have their rules and will not move from them for any reason. We now have to wait for the plans to go to the council for the yeah or nay, and then we will be informed about the decision. If it’s a nay, that is when I shall start appealing it.

Basically it’s all to do with the appliances we have in there. Right now we have a dryer, cooker, washing machine, fridge/freezer and chest freezer. It seems the council say we don’t need all that many and something has to go. We have agreed for now that chest freezer can go in the walk in cupboard. By the looks of it, we shall have less storage than we do now, and that will not be good at all. Hopefully we will be able to get one set of our own double cupboards put back up when it’s all done.

At long last I finished reading The Shinning last night, and as I did so my kindle app stopped working, again, that’s two or three times now in last month or so. I wonder what is causing it. One of the groups I read on FaceBook is Reading Addicts and one of the chats doing the rounds yet again is which format of book is the best, hard copy of eBooks file and even audio. At times I’ve used all three and day to day I use both eBooks and hard copy.

While I was out driving I used to listen to audio books as well, but they are rather expensive compared to the other formats. When Ian Rankin’s Standing in Another Man’s Grave came out, I saw the audio version first and was tempted by it; then I noticed the price. £35. That was an ouch and a bit more. Instead I waited for the paperback version. Of course I could borrow the audio version from the library and I did that with Iain Banks Matter. It was fine really but the loan period was far too short at one week. Right now I can’t borrow anything from there cos I have forgotten to take a book back last October, and I still do forget it even now; so, no more loans for now. I’m sure Warwickshire County Council are getting a cell ready for me in Azkaban.

We sat watch Bag of Bones last night and it was as good as I remembered. I’m sure Mike Noonan had a best seller novel after that experience was over with. So there I was watching telly and an idea came into me ‘ed about a couple clearing up after dinner when there’s a knock on the front door. The opening it to find two coppers standing there. And that is where I came to stop for now. I wonder what Colin Shepherd and Tapper Lennon will get up to now? I shall wait and see. Mind you, it’s a good job I made a note of it straight away.

And so to today’s photo … 

The cover of my second novel.

Today’s funny …

There's a little boy who loves tractors. On his 17th birthday, his mother gives him a trip to a tractor fair, but he gets badly injured, leading to a lengthy stay in hospital. He says he's never going near tractors again. Years later, he's in a bar when he catches the eye of a beautiful young lady. She's crying, and he asks her what her trouble is. She replies: " It's the smoke". He thinks: 'What can I do to make this better?' He then blows, which stops her crying. She asks him how he did it and he says: "Well I'm an ex-tractor fan."               

No comments:

Post a Comment