Sunday 3 May 2015

Copdocs ...



3 May

Not had a good weekend I’m afraid. I’ve just felt like doing nowt at all sine I got up yesterday morning. This morning has been the same really, although I have got up off me backside and just started our dinner for today. OK …

I was looking through yesterday’s telly pages and saw a new copdoc that I haven’t seen before, so I recorded two shows. This new one is set in Cambridgeshire, a county I like a lot having spent 2 years at Waterbeach, about 5 miles outside Cambridge itself. It seems that even that part of the UK suffers from the same night time problems as any other city/town centre; and it’s not just students causing the problems either, a lot of locals do too. On top of that there seems to be a large number of Eastern European’s living in the area and they too are far from being pleasant people.

Something else I noticed while watching them, was a copper driving without his seat belt on and using a mobile phone at the same time as well. Any member of the public would get a ticket for each of those offences. Yet again it seems like one rule for us, one rule for them! But hang on mow … At one point a copper used a pepper spray on a suspect. I have no problems with that in situations they were in. However, two coppers were caught in the spray and you could see how badly they were affected by it. So who would drive the car they were in? Surely it would take a fair amount of time for the effects of the spry off and they shouldn’t have driven until it had.

I still have problems with filming these incidents you know, even if I do like watching them afterwards. I’m sure a lot of guys kick up more than they normally would if the cameras were not around. And there’s the problem isn’t it? We like watching such shows so the telly companies go out and film them. Who is really to blame here? Market forces can’t be blamed, after all, the telly companies made the demand for them in the first place.

Reading A Game of Thrones again, after giving up on it the first time I’ve gone back to it again, and like other times, I’m finding OK. There’s a TV series based on it isn’t there? I wonder if it is based on just that one book or on the whole series of 7 volumes. If the former, I can see a lot more series being done.

The book I’m reading on my Kindle is by Ed James, #5 in the Scott Cullen series, Bottle Neck. These books are set in Edinburgh but are nothing like Rankin’s Rebus books, even if they do use the same locations, inevitable really. James has a DI Bain, who is a real pain. Not just a poor copper but a bullying troublemaker too. Cullen has been fighting Bain’s excesses but after Bain made a major cock in the previous book, he was moved out of everyone’s hair to Glasgow; and he’s still playing ‘silly power games’, as Cullen puts it. They have come together because of links between two murder cases they working. I’ll say no more just in case you want to read it yourself.

Time for a photo then … 

A large uprooted tree. It must have been a big wind to knock it down, but there again, those roots don’t look all that deep.

And today’s funny …

 It was sheer brilliance. The ship’s operations officer entered 
the messdeck, his eyes bleary and at half-mast. He grabbed a bagel and took a seat. Unfortunately, the sun was shining through a porthole right onto his face. Rather than move, he called the bridge: “Hey,” he said, “can you shift the ship 15 degrees? Thanks.”

No comments:

Post a Comment